Ryobi Silver Cloud SX2N

Started by festus, October 11, 2019, 04:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Many years ago, sometime during the mid-1980s, a fishing buddy needed to buy a new spinning reel. He was a correctional officer at the local state prison and lived in a state house on premises.  This is in some wide open country outside the fence surrounded by several ponds full of bass and shellcrackers, mostly catch and release.  Also our county's only trout stream was within walking distance. He wanted something cheap he could leave in his truck, so we headed to Kmart. One reel caught his eye, The Silver Cloud.  I had never heard of Ryobi reels, come to think of it, don't recall Ryobi tools and other gadgets either.

Ryobi reels in decent shape have been going cheap on ebay, varying from half a dollar up to 11 or 12 bucks or so.  There has been very little of Ryobi mentioned on this forum, so I figured I'd treat myself to one.  By the way, I talked to my fishing buddy a while back, the Ryobi owner and he still fishes his Silver Cloud to catch trout, not to eat, but bait. Around these parts rainbow trout is used often to catch lake trout, muskie, and stripers. Perfectly legal.

These reels aren't built with the best metals, but taken care of, they'll last a while. Very little plastic.

A long screw attaches to the handle.

Removing the spool.  Some of these Silver Clouds are graphite spool models, I opted for the aluminum.

Removing the Phillips screws to get inside.

Taking out the the oscillating slider pin.

A look inside the side plate.

Axle is removed.

A shim I didn't notice.

Removing the oscillating slider.

Removing the main gear.  Here is some more of that old soft grease that didn't harden.  Makes me wonder maybe if it wouldn't be a bad idea to save some of this cleaner stuff and reuse it as an experiment since it survived 35 years.

As in many of these economical reels, the pinion is built into the rotor and attached by a retaining clip.

No, I didn't save any of the old grease but it was tempting.

Only 35 parts to one of these reels so clean up is easy.

A look at the underside of the spool reveals one of the very few plastic parts in these reels, the click tongue.

Reassembling the bail wire and line roller assembly.

Lubing the pinion gear.

Reattaching the rotor/pinion to the housing using the retainer plate.

Lubing the main gear.

Reinstalling the main gear.

Reattaching the oscillating slider.

Oiling the axle.

Reinstalling the oscillating slider pin.

Everything back together in the housing.

Reattaching the handle.

This spool is listed on the schematic as one piece.  Drag washers aren't removable, so I don't know what's down there.

This final photo doesn't do the reel justice, it looks much better than this.  Didn't realize it was so out of focus.

festus

Almost forgot, Fred posted this schematic for the SX2N a few years back.

mo65

Cool post Chester! I grew up with those Ryobi reels...they sold everywhere around here back in the 70s/80s. They were priced very friendly for a kid, so we all had one at some time. My first ultralite spinner was a Ryobi, I bought it at a bait shop. I may need to buy a few of these just for old time's sake! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on October 11, 2019, 04:46:06 PM
   Cool post Chester! I grew up with those Ryobi reels...they sold everywhere around here back in the 70s/80s. They were priced very friendly for a kid, so we all had one at some time. My first ultralite spinner was a Ryobi, I bought it at a bait shop. I may need to buy a few of these just for old time's sake! 8)
There were quite a few economical lookalike reels back in those days.  The Ryobis, the silver Daiwas, the Zebco Lancers, the Olympics, the Shakespeare Alphas, the Japanese Penns, and the occasional Pflueger.

happyhooker

Got an old Ryobi RSX2 (rear drag, if I remember right) that I have never been able to use due to a broken handle shaft.  Don't take that as an indicator of reel quality, though.  When I look over the reel, I maybe don't see top-of-the line gear, but it looks OK and as good or better than a lot of what I would call middle-quality reels (reels with nothing really outstanding about them, but build quality more than good enough if fished within it's original limitations).

Frank

Cuttyhunker

Festus
I just picked up the same reel this summer in a small estate deal.  It seemed a little rough for the resale rack so I loaded it with some 6 lb mono I had, and switched it to right hand crank.  Nice little largemouth reel.  As a lefty I'd spent my whole life with righty reels and wanted to try the other side.  The first few dozen casts I found myself switching hand on the rod for a left side crank by rote while the lure was in the air.  Mine clearly didn't get much love and has the annoying habit of prematurely releasing the bail if I tend to put a little extra steam into a toss. It that just wear and tear or is there something I can wiggle around to keep the bail in place?  The rear "knob" on mine is the anti reverse lever
Thanks,
Bob
Doomed from childhood

festus

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on October 12, 2019, 03:20:37 PM
Festus
I just picked up the same reel this summer in a small estate deal.  It seemed a little rough for the resale rack so I loaded it with some 6 lb mono I had, and switched it to right hand crank.  Nice little largemouth reel.  As a lefty I'd spent my whole life with righty reels and wanted to try the other side.  The first few dozen casts I found myself switching hand on the rod for a left side crank by rote while the lure was in the air.  Mine clearly didn't get much love and has the annoying habit of prematurely releasing the bail if I tend to put a little extra steam into a toss. It that just wear and tear or is there something I can wiggle around to keep the bail in place?  The rear "knob" on mine is the anti reverse lever
Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob.  I really wouldn't know why the bail is releasing early.  That's unusual for a skirted spool reel.  At least I've never had the problem (yet).  I didn't open my bail spring cover or check the bail spring.  Mine could possibly have the same problem, but not sure because I haven't spooled it up or cast it yet.

twilford

Does the bail arm spring go under bail arm and is attached to bail arm ? Via screw ( 10)
Old reel had bail arm cover removed.