Braid on Penn 209 levelwind?

Started by Lingwendil, October 11, 2019, 05:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: mo65 on October 12, 2019, 11:29:16 PM
I'll tell you a tip for that 209. Since you're casting and not deep dropping, you don't need all the spool's capacity...like others said. Half a spool casts easier, stays out of the side plates, and the drag power increases. How ya gonna top that? 8)[/color]
With a 9M or a Mag 10 or a Fathom LW or a big Ambassadeur or something appropriate for the task at hand.  I'm good at spending someone else's money.  :)
-steve

Lingwendil

You say the 350 isn't a great caster due to the friction of the line on the levelwind, do you think that it is worse than the 209 in this regard, or probably close to the same? I would think it shouldn't be as handicapped due to less overall parts to spin, but with the added friction probably making it a wash in comparison...
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

oc1

I don't know.  The 209 has more moving parts to contend with (worm, carriage, idler, pawl) but when its working there may be less drag as line exits the reel.  Maybe Greg can respond.  Neither one of them will cast as well as a reel with no levelwind at all.  Also, a disengaging levelwind will usually cast better than synchronous levelwind.
-steve

Gfish

I'd have'ta guess professor. Don't have the 350 with me now, but yeah, that twisted bar is kinna a high hurdle for line to get over. I only used mine for trollin when I had it here(left it with the kid). I'd guess that a 209 would cast better if the levelwind assembly was in good condition. Gotta test any theories though, to be sure.

If it's older reels, might be hard to beat an Abu Ambassedur for levelwind baitcasting. Still amazed at how far I can cast light lures with a '73 - 5000.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

wfjord

Quote from: Lingwendil on October 15, 2019, 02:02:46 PM
You say the 350 isn't a great caster due to the friction of the line on the levelwind, do you think that it is worse than the 209 in this regard, or probably close to the same? I would think it shouldn't be as handicapped due to less overall parts to spin, but with the added friction probably making it a wash in comparison...

They're right about a non-levelwind conventional casting further.  And my Ambassadeurs will out cast all my old conventional levelwinds at least in regard to plugs (I've never considered throwing lead with an Ambassadeur).

I can't brag about my distance casting, but with the levelwind worm and spool shaft contact points cleaned and lubed with TSI, I can get relatively good distance on some of my Penn levelwinds, including a 209 I that I recently overhauled for my next door neighbor.

I feel more comfortable using mono trying to get distance on a conventional, levelwind or not, thus the mono topshot.  In my hands braid is a much worse disaster if I backlash on a conventional.

I'd say do some experimenting and try out different line/leader/topshot setups on your 209's and find out what works best for you on those reels.