What were they thinking

Started by Maxed Out, October 12, 2019, 11:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

$3300 for a complete set of Penn senators. WOW !!

The set has been listed on eBay for months, and someone finally bought them. From what I could see, none of them were pre war, or even pre-1950.

Buying each one individually would have cost about 2 grand, so I cannot understand why anyone would pay $3300.

here's the math... 16/0 and 14/0 $1,000....12/0,10,0,9/0 $500....6/0,4/0,3/0,2/0,1/0 $400....add $100 for shipping = 2 grand

For $3300 it should have came with The full set of senators along with an ounce of gold

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

:o :o I see it..but I don't believe it  :o :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

I saw those awhile ago, I guess someone wanted them pretty bad.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

For me, it is useful to remember that few folks know as much about reel values -- as we do on our site.

For someone who wants an impressive display -- this is a ready to go deal.

4 of the 10 reels are long out of production -- so a little harder to find for some folks.

Many folks will go out to a restaurant, and pay 3 times as much as preparing a meal at home.

Few folks will build their own house.

Most folks will hire a plumber.

It all depends on knowledge and patience (or lack of).

Last two sets of complete Senators I sold went for $2500 & $2750 -- and that was 12 and 14 years ago.

Plus, eBay is often a surprise -- and an average to poor estimator of true value.

When determining a value -- I have always taken the last (10) SOLD items in similar condition on eBay -- tossed out the cheapest, and tossed out the most expensive -- then averaged the other 8 -- and that is a closer determination of value.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

54bullseye

I think the guy lowered the price a couple times as well LOL !! I was sick of scrolling by them so glad there gone,  John Taylor      PS that guy doesn't seem to give anything away everything starts out way high !!

Crow

I think there are a couple things about "value" that we overlook, sometimes. Yeah, we talk about "what they are worth", and that's usually a "market price"...what we can expect to "get out of them" when they are sold. But I think a great many folks don't CARE what things are worth "in the market place"...it's only "what they are worth TO ME", that matters. And, if they have the $$$, they spend it. Of course, as was stated, lots don't KNOW what a "fair " price is, to start with....they are "believing" that "salesman's patter"..."vintage", "rare". "hard to find in this condition", and make the leap.
   The big issue...for most of us...is that both those type of buyers tend to "push up" the price on future sales of those items...at last in the "short term", and for those that want to feel that their "collection" is also an "investment" will "win", if they sell...but "lose" if they are still "adding to it".
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

I guess with some, collecting a set is more WORK than part of the fun.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

I'm not sure but I think a gun dealer had them listed 4 years ago for half that,,,,but people are buying stuff online and then putting back online for double price?