UV Dye

Started by Gobi King, October 15, 2019, 06:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I have a small leak in my roof that few guys I hired were not successful in finding and repairing it.

So I have been thinking outside the box and came up with this idea of using uv dye liquid and pour it at the peak of the valley which is leaking.
Then use UV light inside the attic to pin point the leak.

Can I buy UV dye in bulk?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

oc1

Good idea,  I'm following this one.  

One thought is that the spot where water gets the wood wet and leaks into the attic is often not the spot where the shingles or flashing is leaking.  Once water gets through the shingles or flashing it will run along the underlayment (tar paper) until it finds a second spot to get through.

I feel your pain.
-steve

Gobi King

Steve,
I am at a loss, I hired 2 different contractors and they were not able to fix it.

Yes the water will wick and run down the wood, shingle etc,
I need to get to the general area and TAR the living daylights out of that area.

I am going into the attic when it rains next to figure it out. but it very hard to see anything, hence I was hoping some uv dye would help.

The only dye I found locally was for a/c system and or car radiator and they come in 1oz bottle and run like $5 a bottle.
I will start with a couple of bottles but it would be nice to buy a large quantity of without having to sell my right kidney.  :D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan