If you were going to upgrade a 113h...

Started by Toehi, October 16, 2019, 03:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toehi

What parts would you put in it?  With so many custom parts on the market it seems the sky is the limit. I've caught some decent sized fish on my USA 4/0's and been spoiled a couple of times by sea monsters, reels have held up with the only casualty being cooked drags.  If I upgrade the drag system do I need a double dog bridge, SS sleeve, etc? Thanks!

RowdyW

If you upgrade the drags you will need to install a ss gear sleeve & ss dog. A power handle should be on the list if you don't have one already. You should at least have a Penn heat treated steel main gear. Aftermarket ss gears are nice too but are usually a higher ratio & give you a little faster speed reeling in but with slightly less power. Double dogs won't be neccessary unless you are going for the ultimite in upgrades. An aluminum frame should be on the list too. Welcome to the dark side.  ;D         Rudy

Long Enuff

This one has everything I could find to put inside; stainless steel 4 to 1 black pearl gears, stainless steel double dog bridge, stainless steel 10 tooth gear sleeve,  stainless steel yoke and carbon fiber drag washers from Smooth Drag. The frame  and spool is a Tiburon Narrow aluminum; lost a lot of weight getting rid of the original chrome plated spool. The power handle is from Tiburon as well. I have been very pleased with it so far.

Long Enuff

I put this one together for a friend who just wanted upgraded drags and a power handle.  The handle is an International 50 model. If the gears don't hold up, we will change that out later.

Toehi

Those are some sweet looking 113's!  I think I'm going to upgrade to SS sleeves along with the drags. I haven't pulled the reels apart yet but if need be I'll grab some SS gear sets too.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Toehi on October 17, 2019, 08:31:17 AM
Those are some sweet looking 113's!  I think I'm going to upgrade to SS sleeves along with the drags. I haven't pulled the reels apart yet but if need be I'll grab some SS gear sets too.
Depending on what year 113h you might already have a ss gear set in it, show us some pics...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Gfish

The 113HX gear/drag unit from Pro Challenger gives me the best drag function I've experienced for a Penn conventional. Especially the adjustibility range.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Toehi

I sidelined the Penn's for a bit, had some Newell's pop up for a screaming deal so I scooped them up and have been going threw them. Now it's back on for the 4/0's. Donor reels have brass gears, I'll rock those for now. I ended up picking up SS sleeves from Cortez. I bought replacement HT drags from Mystic along with everything to make these reels look brand new again.  What's the best method to clean and polish the side plates?  I gave all the internal stuff a vinegar and salt bath, the parts look brand new. I'll post pics later on.

RowdyW

I use a buffing wheel in a 2 speed drill with automotive polishing compound (Mothers) on the side plates. Salt water bath??? I thought you were trying to get rid of the salt. I would try a fresh water bath with a little Dawn.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Toehi