Garcia Mitchell 305--detailed look inside and service

Started by festus, October 18, 2019, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

A few days ago I posted a tutorial for the Garcia Mitchell 304.  Thought it might be a good idea to do the same for the 305 because it's completely backward from the 304.  This should be very beneficial to a novice servicing one for the first time.  This was my first attempt in servicing any type of pure left handed reel, both spinning and baitcasting.  The reel felt good as it was, could have been fished with no problems I could find.  Of course, it being a left handed reel, it feels very awkward reeling with my right hand.  Doesn't make sense because me and most righties use their right hand to reel a baitcaster. This reel wasn't in the best cosmetic condition, has some rash on the rotor and bail arm.

Removing the handle by turning counterclockwise.

Removing the lube port screw.

Removing the cover plate screws.

Removing the cover plate reveals that familiar soft brown grease.

Removing the oscillating plate screws.

Removing the spool and axle.

A look inside the rotor.  Lots of nasty, dry grit present.

Removing the rotor hex nut with an 8mm socket.

Removing the bail trip.

This washer and copper shim is essential, and can be overlooked or lost in the grease.

Removing the line guide and line guide screw.

Removing bail screw #2.

Loosening the main bail screw.

Removing bail wire and bail spring.

Removing trip lever screw and assembly.

A look at the complete bail assembly.

A look at the main gear and anti-reverse assembly.  The a/r assembly in this 305 is a mirror image of the same in the 304.

Cleaned it all with Dawn dishwashing detergent, WD-40, and lacquer thinner.

Reassembling bail wire, bail spring, and bail screw.

Reattaching bail screw #2.

Reattaching the line roller and screw.

Reassembling the bail trip lever assembly.

Lubing the pinion gear.

Sliding the rotor back into the housing.

Don't overlook the shim and washer.

Bail trip back in place.

Reattaching rotor hex nut.

Oiling the axle.

Reinserting the axle.

Reattaching the oscillating slide to the axle.

Reinstalling the main gear.

A look at the cleaned, lubed, and reassembled anti-reverse assembly.

Reattaching the cover plate.

Reattaching the handle knob to the handle.

Reattaching the lube port screw.

The reel cleaned up pretty well, of course the rash never went away.

Ron Jones

I really like this reel, you did a bang up job, as usual.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Solid tutorial, Chester!

Yes, the little round body Mitchells are an excellent fishing reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Good pictures Chester. Got the all-important sequence down too. You ever get any a those older reel-line rollers to function, that is, to turn?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Quote from: Gfish on October 18, 2019, 08:11:34 PM
Good pictures Chester. Got the all important sequence down too. You ever get any a those older reel-line rollers to function, that is, to turn?
Not on Mitchells, Greg.  Come to think about it, I've never checked that closely on any reel.

foakes

Good pictures Chester. Got the all important sequence down too. You ever get any a those older reel-line rollers to function, that is, to turn?

I don't think those rollers are designed to spin, Greg.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

You ever get any a those older reel-line rollers to function, that is, to turn?

I have a 306 I'm working on that has a free spinning line roller...but it and a shelfie 406 are the only Mitchells I have that do. Another fine post Chester. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Nice look at a pure lefty spinner.  Yes, it can happen; messing things up, that is, by applying righty ideas to lefty equipment.  It's easy 50 + years after the fact the wonder what the designers were thinking by going with a lefty model and a separate righty one (even of some of the parts are exactly the same), when the "modern" ways of making switchable R-L retrieve seem so obvious and simple....

I think Fred's right about the line guides on reels like this.  The guide may rotate ever so slightly, but it wasn't meant to be a roller.  I'm thinking the little bit of rotation was only meant to spread the wear or friction over the entire contact surface of the guide, maybe prolonging the life of the part a bit.

Frank

Sharkb8

Got a couple of Mitchell's last week service the 305using the 304 post it was a great help thanks for posting this Chester
Kim

Gfish

Ok, good info., thanks. Always wondered about those carbon steel(tungsten?) lookin rollers on MG's.
Is the ossilating slide made outta nylon or some other soft material and is it supposed to break under too much pressure?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

TRS

Once again another great guide to a classic reel, thank you!!

mo65
Which version  of line guide do you get to spin, is it the newer 81476 (line roller guide)?? I'm curious because I've been thinking about trying braid on one but both of mine have the older 81052(line guide)
They call it fishing, not catching

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on October 19, 2019, 05:30:49 PM
Is the ossilating slide made outta nylon or some other soft material and is it supposed to break under too much pressure?

The round, dadoed oscillating slide is made of a hard nylon type plastic material, Greg --

Probably meant to be smoother -- and also to wear out or break before ruining more expensive parts.

Trouble is, by the time they broke -- Mitchell was no longer producing the replacements.

On another round body Mitchell -- the very tough, and more rare 340 -- the oscillation block is made of steel.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: TRS on October 19, 2019, 05:50:07 PM
mo65
Which version  of line guide do you get to spin, is it the newer 81476 (line roller guide)?? I'm curious because I've been thinking about trying braid on one but both of mine have the older 81052(line guide)

Hmm...I'm not that versed in dating Mitchells. From the 306 schematics it looks like mine do have the newer setup. It has the lock washer under the nut, which must allow it to be adjusted without falling off.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester! This may be one of the first "wrong handed"  :D spinning reel tutorials to have been posted here.  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)