older rods and reels

Started by q3fishboy, October 18, 2019, 09:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

Hey guys -

I have a couple older rods and reels that a friend gave me a while back.

Was just wondering if they were worth anything or were anything special.

I tried to attach a couple pictures

Thanks a bunch.

- Roy

foakes

Quote from: q3fishboy on October 18, 2019, 09:57:43 PM
Hey guys -

I have a couple older rods and reels that a friend gave me a while back.

Was just wondering if they were worth anything or were anything special.

I tried to attach a couple pictures

Thanks a bunch.

- Roy

Rods are decent glass rods -- good quality -- will fish well.

The 400 Mitchell is a high speed version of the 300.  Good reel.

The Zebco Cardinal 3 is a very sought after ultralight reel.  It is worth as much as the other (3) pieces added together.

Nice outfits!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

q3fishboy

Fred -

Thanks for the quick reply and information.

I do not really anticipate fishing with any of this gear as I have more modern gear that I use.

Was actually planning on selling or getting rid of these since I live in a small space.

Just wanted to check if there was anything particularly special that might be worth "collecting".

It would also be great to get some idea of what a "fair" price for any of them would be.

The cardinal seems to be in decent working condition.

The mitchell 400 definitely needs some work and the anti reverse doesn't really hold.

And the spare spool for the mitchell 400 has a dent in it and the case for it is cracked.

Thanks again.

- Roy

foakes

I'll give you $100 for the Cardinal, $30 for the Mitchell and (2) rods -- and will pay shipping.

Let me know if this works for you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

If not fish it,,,,the older stuff take a licking and keep on tickling,,,,,,, ;D

philaroman

the daiwa is sweet -- FISH IT!!!  ...especially, if you don't know/remember the feel of good glass
IMO, it's undervalued due to budget components, hence not worth selling, unless like-new
better yet, rebuild it w/ better/more guides -- original should be fine for old-school nylon mono,
but forget braid & I'd even think twice, before trusting a thinner, harder copolymer at higher drag

the Berkley looks broken & re-tipped:

• tip section, shorter than butt
  • no thread on tip-top
  • only 3+1 guides, total
hate to disagree w/ Fred, but it will not "fish well" (unless he buys & rebuilds it ;) )

happyhooker

Decent, older glass rods can be nice fishing tools.  They're hard to sell through the mail because all too many of them are hard to ship at an acceptable shipping cost.  I still use a lot of glass.  Skip the el cheapos that were meant for kids or came out of the bargain basement when they were new.  Berkley made some good glass rods away back when, although I don't know if the pictured rod is one of them.

I know there is a demand for those old Cardinals and prices reflect that, but the 400 is no slouch either and I consider my 400 one of the best looking and most enjoyable reels to use that I have.

Frank

q3fishboy

Hey everyone -

Sorry for the absence; had some personal stuff come up.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions; super helpful.

Fred - I will PM you in a couple days when things settle down for me.

Thanks again.

- Roy

Cuttyhunker

I've picked Mitch 300's with spotty anti reverse, was semi petrified grease.  A little WD internally loosened things up and I knew I had an OK reel in short order.  I'd try that on the 400 for a quickie diagnosis.
Doomed from childhood