Pfleuger 1022--a look inside

Started by festus, October 19, 2019, 12:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Found this reel in the garage.  Have no idea when or where I acquired it.  Found it in a box with an old D-grade Viking spinning reel with a broken handle.  Bail trip, anti-reverse, drag, and everything worked ok.  It reeled smoothly for a no bearing reel and it was fairly clean on the exterior.

Removing handle by turning it clockwise.

Removing cover plate.

The side plate is one of the very few plastic parts.  And no, this isn't a convertible aka ambidextrous reel.  That's a phony knob.  I've seen this once before on a Daiwa spinner.

No surprise here.  Very common engineering design on these B-grade spinners.  Encountered it many times in Heddons, Daiwas, and Zebcos.  Similar to the Mitchell 304 except they use a plastic oscillating slide.

Removing the non-threaded oscillating slider screw.

Removing the axle and spool.

Removing the slider.

No rotor nut on these reels.  A C-shaped retainer clip fastens the rotor to the housing.

Removing the rotor and pinion gear.

Removing the main gear. WHOOPS, the anti-reverse assembly came apart before I got a peek at how it's assembled.

Removing the roller nut.

Removing the non-spring side bail plate and bail wire for cleanup.  Bail spring is functioning fine as is, so I let it be.

Apparently this reel had been serviced in the past with a light coating of some yellowish grease that was still soft.  I didn't want to spend much time on this reel, so a good wipedown of everything inside and out cleaned it good enough for me. Actually, the reel didn't need serviced but I wanted to see how it operated anyway.

Didn't take rocket science to reassemble the anti-reverse.

Reinstalling the main gear before that jump happy a/r moved again.

Rotor retainer clip back in place.  For time's sake, I didn't take pics of reassembling the bail, axle, oscillating slide, and pin.

Fastening down the cover plate.

Reinstalling the handle.

Fastening the drag assembly clip into place.  This was a 3-piece drag system.  One leathery washer, one spring washer, and one keyed washer.

Reinstallation of the rotor and drag knob.

This reel weighs only 8.75 oz without line, but "looks" as if it would weigh more.  Line capacity is 200 yds of 6 lb. test mono.  As I mentioned earlier, servicing it didn't do a thing for functionality, but at least I know it's ready to go with no questions.  Will make a decent panfishing reel for someone, but doubtful it would be ideal for a steady diet of targeting any game fish over 5-6 pounds.

mo65

When you handle the components of these old Korea/Taiwan reels from the 70s you wonder how the heck some of them wind so smooth when assembled. Thanks for the review Chester. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Nice looking reel; thanks for the peek. I've seen one of those "phony knob" deals on an old Eagle Claw spinner that also posed as a fulcrum brake  drag model (the drag knob was mounted at an angle at the bottom rear of the reel, but only acted on the drag washers at an angle rather than head-on like any other rear drag spinner.)

Frank

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

These Pflueger seem to be a clone of the Shakespeare 2105.