Newell 550

Started by Bishop808, May 12, 2021, 12:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop808

Does anyone have an extra 550 spool they want to sell, I have a tiburon spool that doesn't want to center.

Bryan Young

You may need to file down the ends of the shafts if they are hitting the bearing cup.  How do I know if it may be hitting the bearings cup?  Take the bearing and place it on the end-shaft of the spool, and if the shaft sticks out more than 1/16", then I presume it's hitting the bearing cup and you will then loose some of the centerability (if that's a word).

Second, if you are using stock bars and reel base and not a tiburon frame, you may need to shim the bars/reel base to space the side plates further because the tiburon spool may be a little wider than the stock Newell spool
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

too much side-to-side play?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bishop808

It doesn't want to move towards the handle side.

Bryan Young

Is there a spacer under the right side bearing?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Looks like the non handle side isn't sitting right in the frame., Looks like there's a gap at the top
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bishop808

No spacers under the bearings and no gaps.

Hamachi

Need more photos of the side plates. Big bearings? Are you sure that's a 5** right side plate and not a 4**? Also that top screw on the handle side needs to be cut down so it doesn't stick out past the frame. You may have the wrong bearing cap and/or shim(s), or what the other guys said.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!