Newell s533 4.6 Narrow Mod

Started by Kenny B., October 19, 2019, 04:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny B.

Good Morning, Im going to narrow my 533 with a Tib kit. Any info from those that have done this would be greatly appreciated. Anything that I will need to make it go smoothly, tricks of the trade. Thank you all in advance.
Best,
Kenny

Newell Nut

The 533 is an easy reel to install the Tib frame on. Does your S model have the long bolts through the body or the short screws? If short screws then piece of cake. Just lube all mating surfaces and screw threads. They send you instructions that tell you the same thing.

If your reel has the long cross body bolts then you have issues to deal with. The shorter bolts that hold the inner rings onto the front and rear bars can be the ones that screw into the other inner ring which sometimes leaves a lip that needs to be filed down or use a dremel.

If you have not bought the kit yet I have a cobalt blue one at a discount. PM me if you want it.

Dwight

Kenny B.

Thanks so much, the reel is on the way. Just bought it used on BD's. I think it has the short screws. But I'll find out next week. Is there a way to tell from the pictures? Thanks for the offer on the frame.

Newell Nut

Look at both side plates. If on the left side you see smooth head screws with not slot then you have long bolts. If you see Phillips on the left and slotted head on the right you have long bolts.

If you see Phillips on both sides you have short screws which is good. If you see slotted screws on both sides you are okay too.

Dwight

MarkT

Per Jim's pictures on BD you're good to go with short screws.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Kenny B.

Thanks for checking. Stoked to get this done. Love having Newell's in the line up.

vilters

not needed for the kit, however, i recommend bryan young's (here on a/t) drag upgrade kit for the 533 reel. makes for a very smooth/strong drag. the narrow 533/440 is a very nice reel, one of my favorites.

Kenny B.

I was planning on doing that, hoping I don't screw up the install. Was going to get fresh bearings as well. The gentleman who I bought it from seems to take really great care of his gear, super stoked on the this reel. Going to put it on a 90j for now when it's done.

alyssa_d

hey Kenny,

i put the narrow tib kit on a 540 and c440. like Newell Nut said, it's a seamless upgrade with the short screws. i also recommend Bryan's drag washer kit.

one regret i do have is buying the Tiburon T-Bar Lite handle. the angle is too offset in my opinion and it feels wobbly / off balance when cranking in fish. i love Newells but never liked the factory handles. the round foam ball handle on my 440 has been a lot better for me.

just out of curiousity, what are u planning on fishing for with this reel on a 90j? flinging irons and/or live bait?

Kenny B.

Those look great, where did you get the non Tib handle? I ordered bearings and drags from Bryan.I was going to sling jigs with it for sure wahoo/yellowtail, poppers for tuna. I have 2 90j's that have been sitting. Other wise might add UC Terminator 7'6 or 8' to make it easier to ship when I fly to San Diego from the bay.

Swami805

The arm part I've seen on ebay, Alan, pro challenger on here makes a nice eva knob. If you're handy with a file a few strokes on a shimano trinidad handle works. Motive fabrication on here makes titanium arms from time to time. I'm partial to the old progear knobs.
Newell has been gone for years but I think there's more upgrades now than ever.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

Here's a few different handles
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alyssa_d

the football and pro gear handles are probably my all-time favorites as well. definitely better than the EVA ball for bigger game. dammit, now i want footballs on my newells.

pretty sure that EVA handle came from reelpowerhandles.com or ebay.

i haven't had any issues casting jigs with the converted newells but the narrow tib spool is noticeably heavier than a newell graphite spool so i use different reels for tossing poppers or small live baits.

lemme know what you think of casting your narrowed 533 after your conversion is done. mebbe your experience will be different.

Kenny B.

Will do for sure. Thanks for the info on the handles. Ill update when it's all done.

Kenny B.

Well she turned out great, I can't even begin to thank Dwight(Newell Nut) enough for his advise and experience and generosity. As I sat here in Northern California with this used reel with big plans of new drags and narrow frames and zero experience, Dwight offered a hand and from 3000 miles away made my plans come to life. Dwight thank you so so much for all you did. You are a true gentleman.