CAP reel

Started by TRS, October 19, 2019, 10:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRS

Just scored a first version full bail CAP,  it was in a small lot of Mitchell reels with bad photos and listed as a Mitchell 304.  It only has the word CAP and made in france on the body, the internals are the planametric gears, and has all metal parts. So far it appears to work fine with the exception of the spool clicker.  Looking at the 53 and 54 schematics on the Mitchell museum site, I'm not sure if the spring is right. If any one has one of these spools with the words SERRAGE and C.A.P on top a photo of the bottom would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to a page that has info on the evolution of the CAP, Mitchell CAP and Mitchell 304 family of reels, it differs some from Mitchell museum info, but was an interesting read

http://www.mitchellcap.info/index.html#changes

When I get the parts clean I'll post photos of the reel and it's assembly.

They call it fishing, not catching

festus

I'll be following this post out of curiosity.  All my 304 are Mitchell's 6th version, probably made after 1967.  I found a pic of the top of your spool on the Mitchell Museum site. http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/category/471

TRS

Festus

That's the top of my reel, I'm hoping Fred, Midway Tommy, or somebody has one of these spools and can show me the bottom.  I wish I had a 304 to compare this reel to.  I'll probably be asking you alot of questions as I go. 

Are the 304 drive gear and anti reverse both aluminum? On this real the a/r is stainless.

festus

Quote from: TRS on October 20, 2019, 01:02:21 AM
Festus

That's the top of my reel, I'm hoping Fred, Midway Tommy, or somebody has one of these spools and can show me the bottom.  I wish I had a 304 to compare this reel to.  I'll probably be asking you alot of questions as I go. 

Are the 304 drive gear and anti reverse both aluminum? On this real the a/r is stainless.
I don't have access to a camera at the moment, so I borrowed a pic from Mo's 306 post.  The bottom of the 304 spool is similar to this 306 spool.  And the a/r is aluminum.

foakes

Just got home from a dinner party down in Fresno --

I have plenty (dozens) of new 304/305 spools still in their original boxes -- 40+ 304/305 reels -- and about a half dozen CAPS.

Some of my CAPS have the "pillar arbored spools".

Also have plenty of new clicker ratchet springs.

I will pull some out tomorrow morning -- but a photo of yours would be helpful -- since there are evolutionary differences -- but it should be easy enough to figure out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TRS

Fred
here is the bottom of my reel, it may be a combination of things, the tip of the clicker is well worn, the fiber washer seems thin, and that spring doesn't look like the one on the 53 or 54 schematics at the Mitchell museum.  The spool has a slot from top to bottom that goes all the way through, the top has an aluminum plate held on by two very tiny Phillips head screws and has the words C.A.P. and SERRAGE

TRS

Here is the side view of the spool

TRS

Was up late, and discovered that the Mitchell museum is actually on two different sites, mitchell museum.com and mitchellreels.ourboard.org.  The information available is different between the two site, not sure if it's on purpose or due to browser/OS issues.

The second one had a picture of the bottom of my spool, the clicker on mine was upside down and backwards according to the picture. It had been this way along time, judging by the clicker tip wear.  When I changed it it got worse, I think the problem may be due to a combination of factors.

The spool is noticeably concave, perhaps caused by the drag being left too tight for long period

The axle assembly, shown as one piece on the 1954 schematics, has a lot of movement in the stack containing the spool clicker, washers, and break spring.  The break spring appears almost flat.  The assembly is held in place by a tapered drift pin.

The fibre drag washer is very thin.

foakes

There were at least (6) versions of the little round body Mitchells -- plus variations within those series, Tom --

The nice thing is -- as a rule, many parts are a standardized fit.

The spool, for instance, will fit most of the round bodied reels.

Here are a couple of "newer" (late 50's, early 60's) spools that will fit any reel in this crate of CAPS, 304, and 305.

Also, you can use the original clicker, or the simpler upgrade clicker.  The pivot post is in the exact position on all spools -- and the clicker & ratchet mechanisms work equally well with both.  Easy to change out -- 2 minute job.

Here I am showing an example of a large capacity spool (deep), as well as a small capacity spool (shallow) -- next to an older spool.  All parts fit, as well as interchange.  Pretty nice, IMO.  Wish all reels were like this.

If you need any of this stuff for this reel, or spares -- have plenty of new parts -- just let me know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TRS

Fred,

I think it would take a new spool, the bottom of mine is very concave, the only way I could get it to function properly was to add 2 thin metal washers on top of the clicker gear under the drag washer, but that impacted line lay.

If you have enough of the original spools that would be ideal, if you don't, no problem. The only other problem is it is missing the handle spacer and body gasket, works fine without them.

I had thought about trying to replace the brake spring on the axle, but I'd rather not damage it due to inexpierance.

Thanks to both you and festus

Tom

foakes

I can send you a new 60 year old shallow or deep spool, complete with the clicker spring -- your choice, Tom.

If you need one that shows Serrage - CAP --  do not have enough of those.

I will also send out the other two parts you need --spacer and gasket.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

TRS

Fred,

Thanks alot, I will pm you about the parts

Tom

Gfish

Alright Fred!
That looks like a solidly constructed spinner. It has a body gasket?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

TRS

Gfish
The body gasket was used up till the late 50s, than it was listed as optional, 1961 was the last year I found it listed on a schematic.  It appears to have been used on the CAP, 304/305, 314/315.  The original design of this reel dates back to the 1937/38 time frame.

oc1

Is there a gasket around the gear shaft where it goes through the side plate?
-steve