Tinkering With The 306

Started by mo65, October 20, 2019, 12:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I really like this 306. Although the power of the 302 is more suited to what I need, for a guy who likes ultralight spinning reels the 302 is a hulking, awkward beast. The 306 just feels better balanced. With some tweaking applied to the drag system, the 306 squeaks into the power range I'm needing. For catfishing, I also like the larger gear teeth on the 306, as compared to the 406 with it's higher speed and thinner gear teeth.
  These first two pics are from the eBay listing of the 306 I bought...typical soft focus...but not really needed in this case. This reel was near mint.

There are a few things to watch for on these reels. One is the pinion key, circled in green below. This thing can get lost easy...be careful! The yellow arrow points to the rotating head lock, note how well your Penn wrench fits that slot.

I love the pinion bearing on this reel, a big fat Oilite bronze bushing, the ultimate low maintenance bearing.

I had a 306/406 PUM burning a hole in my pocket...it's found a home!

It's a fact...simple designs are great. Mitchell's "take it apart with a coin" campaign was a great selling point.

When taking the spool apart the first thing I noticed is there are no fiber washers used in the drag system. The spool spins top and bottom on plastic. It did seem to work alright, but there was room for improvement. It was smooth, but had a bit of "start up". I think the power was so low because the plastic worked much like Delrin or Teflon, very slippery. The pic below shows how there are recessed areas in both the spindle and the drag bearing. You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?  

Oh yeah...now we're getting somewhere!

That drag bearing needs some carbon fiber on the top side too, between it and the brake spring, which is keyed to the spindle. Now the spool is spinning on greased carbon fiber top and bottom. Power increased a bit, and start up is history.

I needed a way to decrease the spool capacity for braid, and this South Bend spool adapter looked like it might work with a bit trimmed off.

It worked out just right...the spool held 200yds. of 30lb. braid.

Here's a before and after view of the gear box. I guess you'd call it...clean and cleaner?

Topped off with a sweet power knob on the handle, this reel is ready to get wet. Hope I don't scratch it! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

TRS

Very nice, what thickness of carbon fiber??   I added a Teflon washer to the lower part of the spool it smoothed out the original drag, thinking of adding carbon fiber.  I'm in the process of replacing the reels on my GFs catfish ugly stiks and I think the 306 balances the rod better and is way better looking than using a 300.

Really like the handle on that reel!!
They call it fishing, not catching

mo65

Quote from: TRS on October 20, 2019, 12:20:05 AM
Very nice, what thickness of carbon fiber??   

I used .030 since the recess is about .015, figured that wouldn't upset the line lay too bad.

festus

Nice upgrade to the drag system and PUM, Mo. 

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Nice adaptions, Mike. That should be a nice reel to fish with.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

cbamer

Late to the post, here, but thank you so much for these detailed pictures! I'm about to start my second reel breakdown ever-a 306, and this is so helpful!

Did you have to make those cf washers yourself, or do they fit a Penn reel or something (smoothdrag?). If you see this, Thanks!

mo65

Quote from: cbamer on February 18, 2023, 10:05:35 PMDid you have to make those cf washers yourself, or do they fit a Penn reel or something (smoothdrag?). If you see this, Thanks!

If I remember correctly, I just found washers with the correct inside diameter and then trimmed the outside diameter to fit. Those CF washers are easy to trim...even the inside diameter if necessary. 8)

cbamer

cbamer

Any tricks to installing the bail spring on the 306? I'm really struggling with it. Seems like I have to use a lot of force, and may have bent it. The one time I've been able to spin it all the way round and get the big screw in place, it doesn't work properly. The bail worked perfectly before I took it apart to clean all the gunk out of it...

On the schematics, it's the same part number spring as a 300-is this really the case? The springs are interchangeable?

Any wisdom deeply appreciated at this point-pulling out my hair, and one spring has already sprung across the room... thanks, Carla

foakes

Hi Carla —-

The bail spring & bail on Mitchell reels, and particularly the 306 are kind of a trick —- until you have done a couple.

First, remove the bail wire completely from the rotating head —- both sides.

Second, turn off the Anti-Reverse lever so that you have a little more freedom and wiggle room.

Drop the bail spring into its proper cavity.

Notice on the main bail mount (spring side) —- that there is a little protrusion nub that MUST set inside the bail spring coils.

The tiny insert hole for the top of the bail spring is right next to this nub.

With no spring pressure —- orient the bail wire backwards against the reel body.

When the nub in place, and the bail spring is in the bail mount hole —- start the bail screw.

Screw it all of the way in —- then test it to make sure the bail is actively under proper spring pressure now.

Carefully back out the main bail screw just slightly —- then also slightly back off the inside trip lever.  This will allow you to maneuver the bail mount back and past the trip lever.

Tighten both screws —- and then the one on the opposite side holding the other end of the bail in place —- and it should be fine.

I just took one apart very quickly —- then put it back together.  In my case, I also removed completely the trip lever, trip lever spring, and trip lever screw.  But this is not necessary.

If you bent anything —- just let me know —- and I can send replacements.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

I found a foolproof way to fix DQ, Zebco etc., bail springs, because I hate working on spinner bails for this exact reason: I sent them to Fred :)

I love the 306 for fishability and simplicity. The 307 was Grandad's preferred surf / pier reel, I still have two of his. Good luck on yours, Carla. Fred is the parts guy, no question, but if I have any surf tackle you need, I'll send it, NC, and get the kids fishing. Bill, Wayne, Greg and others and have sent me stuff to get some kids fishing around here, and on AT we gonna pay forward.

Nice job on yours, Mikey! Where'd you get that knob?

foakes

As we all delve deeper into reel service and restorations —- we will find that there are only a few basic principles that are important.

Some for Conventionals —- some for spinners.

One of the main principles on spinning reels —-

Always find a way or a process to install a spring-loaded part such as a bail, trip lever, A/R dog, etc. —- in a "free" position —- then tighten things up —- and afterwards, check the spring action.

While possible with most reels —- a better and quicker result —- with no forcing or tweaking of springs happens when the part is installed using a "no initial spring pressure" method.

The easiest way on bail springs is to take the bail wire off of the bail arm —- then install the bail arm and spring without the wire.

On many spinners, this is not possible —- but the principle still holds true. So find a way to install the bail and spring that requires not doing so under spring pressure —- then test and activate the spring.

There is always a way.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

What Fred said, but, I've found it to be even easier and what ends up taking less time, especially on certain models, is to remove the main shaft and then remove the rotor. With the rotor loose there are no obstructions to wrestle.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 23, 2023, 06:44:18 PMWhat Fred said, but, I've found it to be even easier and what ends up taking less time, especially on certain models, is to remove the main shaft and then remove the rotor. With the rotor loose there are no obstructions to wrestle.

All true, Tommy —-

When doing a complete —-

The way I reassemble a spinning reel after cleaning, is —-

Assemble complete spool first

Assemble complete rotor with bail and internals

Assemble crank handle and/or shift/crank assembly

Install gears, A/R, bearing, etc

Install completed rotor assembly

Insert spool shaft & connect

Install handle assembly

Snap on spool

Test all functions, make sure all screws and nuts are snug, reinspect —- wipe it off, bag it as done.

Some spinners will not allow this simple system —- there are always exceptions —- but this works on a majority.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.