Bail Assembly

Started by Gpag, September 03, 2022, 07:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gpag

I'm trying to reassemble the bail on a Kastking Sharky III reel.   There'll works great, the bail was working before I took it apart when doing preventative maintenance to keep it running good.
I've got the bail together and it moves into the open and closed positions smoothly but when open it not automatically close when I turn the handle.  I suspect that I do not have the lever arm positioned correctly. I am putting it in the hole on the bail connector but it seems it is not moving the spring.  Any help on what I am doing wrong?

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

I have never worked on one of these reels —- but it has a fairly common trip affair.

On the bail arm that the spring and kick lever attach to —-

There will also be a "nub".

The bail arm needs to be rotated under slight pressure so that the nub is resting in that slot channel at the top.

Once all of this is lined up —- you can attach the screw that holds the pivoting bail arm in place.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Really  need to see the Bail arm that goes on that side but basically a part on the Arm will either insert in the Plastic Piece at the end of the spring in Arrow  and OR the Rod marked in blue will fit in the Arm (Lever) and at that point you can Tension it properly to fit the end of the Bail in the tip of the Lever.

Gpag

This is my understanding of how this goes together.  I hope the photo makes sense.

Nub N on the bail arm fits in the slot marked N on the reel side.

The long end of the lever arm LA fits in the hole in the part attached to the spring on the reel side.

When put together, the short end of this lever, SA, fits in the hole the red arrow is pointing to on the bail arm side.

I think the end of the long sliding arm fits in the slot with the ? on the bail arm.

That's the way I put it together.  When the bail is open I can manually close it but, when open, it does not automatically spring back when I start turning the crank as it should. So the spring is not tensioned.  It's not a big deal, I can use it as it is but I'd like to get it right.  I don't think I've ever actually used the crank to close the bail but when I manually close it  like that it springs back all the way on its own.

It seems I have a couple of choices for the Z shaped lever arm:
- slide the long arm all the way up and lay the lever to the left side of it

- slide the long arm all the way down and lay the lever to the left side of it

- slide the long arm all the way down and lay the lever between the bearing and the arm

I think I've tried all three but the spring doesn't get tensioned.  Can someone explain the proper assembly to tension the spring?
Thanks.

19D2049C-BC4E-4AA7-9A05-A106773F829D.jpeg

Wompus Cat

Try placing the lever in the larger  elongated  slot as shown with Yeller Arrow.
Now I can see the Arm  Fred was right but we could not tell where the pieces actually went .
Great photos by the way .