722z knob?

Started by Trucha, August 27, 2022, 07:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trucha

Hi All,

Has anyone replaced the knob on a 722z with something different?  I'm not a big fan of the paddle knob it comes with.  Any aftermarket or other Penn knobs that would fit?

Thanks
20220827_153403.jpg
-Trucha

foakes

Mike (MO65) has done a lot of crank knob upgrades —-

I think most of the ones he did were sourced from online sites in China.

They work and look good —- plus offer better and more comfortable control.

Not expensive.  Not sure if China will be more or less of a potential problem going forward.  So far, it has been OK.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Ebay is loaded with aftermarket handle knob options...here's a link to a thread discussing it:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25864.0

Also, here is a photo of a replacement on a Penn 720z. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Mike, that's stellar.

I've used those knobs or very similar as well- what i would say is be certain you put blue loctite or perhaps a wrap of teflon tape around the knob retaining screw (the big end) I had two back out first trip in t-top. People say it in reviews and I didn't do so...otherwise they look and handle nicely, with bearings.

John

mo65

Great point John! I recently had one back out also...on the Mitchell 306 pictured below. The darn screw rolled off the deck, and it was some metric thread I couldn't find, so I had to retap threads and install a new screw. I too used locktite...so far so good! :fish
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JasonGotaProblem

Mo, most these Chinese knobs use M2.5 screws. The really big ones use M3 screws I've been known to upgrade to longer SS screws to increase my confidence in it.

I don't think I'm running a single reel anymore with a factory knob, save for the newer acquisitions that have not yet been knobbed.

I always do superglue or loctite on the arm side as those back out almost instantly, but i don't usually put anything on the knob side screw and knock on wood haven't seen any issues.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jurelometer

I personally think that those Penn flat paddle knobs are the most ergonomic way to go on a smaller spinner where you only need the tip of you thumb and index to turn,  No need for a round knob to get full finger grip on with a couple pounds or less of drag, and those wider diameter round knobs keep the thumb and index too far apart.   Having said that, the 720/722 sized knob can be a bit small for folks with bigger paws.  I just printed up a wider version with slightly more rounded edges to cure that problem:

Sal was of the same opinion on the paddle knobs.  He hand crafted some pretty cool paddles,  one from jade colored Corian that looked really nice with the green 720/722 reels.

-J

foakes

Great work, Dave!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

Thanks Fred.

Here is Sal's version.  He was quite the craftsman.

https://alantani.com/index.php?msg=354652

foakes

Quote from: jurelometer on September 01, 2022, 09:03:51 PMThanks Fred.

Here is Sal's version.  He was quite the craftsman.

https://alantani.com/index.php?msg=354652

Yes, he was, Dave —-

I always listened to Sal when he gave me advice —-

He was always spot on.

I guess the only thing I did not take his advice on was being cautious and careful about offering rare parts to folks on our site.

He said a lot of the parts I had were rare and not available through Penn anymore.

But that never slowed me down from trying to help guys who needed a part or two for a good reel that meant a lot to them.

He said he respected my viewpoints and opinions —- we traded parts and reels for a good many years —- don't think I ever got ahead of his generosity, though.

He was one of our best, and one of a kind.

I still have some of the custom knobs he made for me.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Trucha

mo65, Wow, very nice. That's exactly what I had in mind. Would you mind sharing a bit of how you manage that (or point me to a thread)?  Thanks, and thanks to everyone who responded. This place is such a great resource.

-Trucha