Penn 430SS Main Gear Needed

Started by handi2, October 20, 2019, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

As the title states I'm trying to fix a Penn 430SS for an older gentleman that fishes the docks behind my house.

The main gear is no more at Mystic Parts.

Thanks a bunch,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Keith! You're back! Much better, I hope.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Pyro Chuck

I am in desperate need of 430ss main gear/shaft as well...anyone with a clue as to where I can find one?

Bryan Young

My guess would be Fred.

I don't have any in my inventory. Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the part number should be 8-420.  found one.  send a pm with your address and cell #.  i'll figure out shipping, let you know the cost and i'll try to get it out in today's mail.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pyro Chuck

Surftackle

Anyone have another 8-420 Penn SS430 Main Gear? Picked up a decent 430 reel but the main gear is stripped. Thanks.
Bob Hart

sandbar

How do these gears get stripped?
I bought one new many moons ago and the gears are fine.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sandbar on July 28, 2022, 12:16:13 AMHow do these gears get stripped?

Using them for more than they're rated for, using heavier line than than they're rated for and cranking the drag down too tight, plus, maybe using too stiff a rod. When used as designed the gears on those will never strip, they'll last a lifetime. BTW, that's why Penn made different sized reels. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Penn

Quote from: sandbar on July 28, 2022, 12:16:13 AMHow do these gears get stripped?

You wouldn't believe how many older reels we get in for service that are rated for 4 or 6lb mono and have 20lb braid and the drag buttoned down on them, gears shredded.

tony

alantani

Quote from: Surftackle on July 27, 2022, 09:54:37 PMAnyone have another 8-420 Penn SS430 Main Gear? Picked up a decent 430 reel but the main gear is stripped. Thanks.
Bob Hart

just checked.  none left.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 28, 2022, 02:52:36 AM

Using them for more than they're rated for, using heavier line than than they're rated for and cranking the drag down too tight, plus, maybe using too stiff a rod. When used as designed the gears on those will never strip, they'll last a lifetime. BTW, that's why Penn made different sized reels.
That's 80% the fun of fishing, catching fish way bigger than the tackle is designed for.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Quote from: Penn on July 28, 2022, 11:26:00 AM

You wouldn't believe how many older reels we get in for service that are rated for 4 or 6lb mono and have 20lb braid and the drag buttoned down on them, gears shredded.

tony

I am with Tony on this one —-

Quality reel manufacturers generally have a number of various sized reels in a particular model group (4-7).

The specs are noted by experienced engineers as to recommended line ranges, as well as fish species that could be targeted.

These reels generally range from Microlites & ultralights to HD offshore reels —- and all ranges in between.

If the reels are fished within the guidelines —- failures will be rare.

On spinners, to help them last as long as possible —-

Keep the drag knob loose in storage, fold the bail wire down to release the pressure on the bail spring, change out the line every couple of years, use good synthetic grease and oil for servicing, spray the reel lightly with WD-40 or similar —- wipe it dry, keep the reel in a cloth breathable bag —- not on the rod, and not tossed in the bottom of a crate or tackle box.

Fish them within their intended target and line ranges.

Sometimes a larger reel is required, sometimes a smaller one.

Your experience and research will let you know which reel to sensibly use.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

And in No Uncertain Terms are they to be used for Towing A Vehicle, Stump Removal ,or Boat Winching on Trailer unless Modified by Moderator, Tank Builder,
Sensei, or Machismo  of Like Kind Herein.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 02, 2022, 07:41:59 PMThat's 80% the fun of fishing, catching fish way bigger than the tackle is designed for.

Not if one purchases high quality equipment and values the the longevity of it.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)