Friction Ring for Shimano Stradic 8000FI

Started by GooseCreekRods, October 21, 2019, 06:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GooseCreekRods

I need a friction ring for a Shimano Stradic 8000FI spinning reel, RD8608. This part has been discontinued and there is no replacement part for it.

Which brings up another point. This reel can't be THAT old. Does anyone know when the 8000FI was first manufactured? I've searched the web over and I cannot find any Shimano history on reels.

If you have a Shimano, you better hope they don't stop production. If they do, they stop support completely! Good luck getting parts for it! I can get 20-year-old parts for Penn reels today, but Shimano? Forget about it!

Goose Creek Rod & Reel
Indian Trail, NC

Ruffy

I've got an FI, I'd say about 2008ish.

To be honest, pull the friction ring and be done with it. They're known to perish, a lot of guys here that have them (and I even think Shimano Aus), advise just to go without. I've done it with my 5000 for a while with no issues.

Cheers,
Andrew

GooseCreekRods

Thank you. I'll toss it as you suggested and fish it as is. Thanks so much!
Goose Creek Rod & Reel
Indian Trail, NC

philaroman

you can prob. toss it -- in smaller, older models you actually WANTED the friction ring gone
it didn't age well & caused shimbindo...  'til they made it from a better material

much older models didn't have one & worked fine

I guess, w/ bigger sizes / heavier handle knobs / aggressive casting it might matter

Tiddlerbasher

Could you cut/punch one from delrin or a similar material?

GooseCreekRods

I took it off and tested the reel - it seems to work just fine. I'm going with it as is.
Goose Creek Rod & Reel
Indian Trail, NC

Gfish

I've got 2 fj's, probably about 2011 or so. Great drag on these reels, but I expect to have to ditch them someday cause of parts unavailability. So far the rings in question have lasted. Well designed reel overall, but some parts are made of questionable materials.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ruffy

Quote from: philaroman on October 22, 2019, 03:11:28 AM

I guess, w/ bigger sizes / heavier handle knobs / aggressive casting it might matter

This is the only issue; it will now actually spin easier so greater chance of the handle turning and flipping the bail mid cast. This can be mitigated with good technique though, and you've got a smoother reel!

Cheers,
Andrew

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL