Penn torque 300

Started by fishslayer2000, March 24, 2009, 04:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishslayer2000

Hi Alan
I've been reading your site and your posts others for quite some time and finally decided to sign up. Your tutorials have helped me to maintain and recondition several reels. I'm trying to service my Penn torque 300 and am having a problem separating the right side plate into its two components. Is there a trick to do this?

Thanks for all the help, Sean

alantani

here's a link to the schematic.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/trq300.pdf  you don't remove the entire right side plate, just the drag cover.  it's key #1C.  that gives you access to everything.  nice design.  

um, it's not the drag cover that you're having with, is it?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fishslayer2000

yes its the drag cover im having trouble getting off. i removed the four screws on the front of the drag cover and the two in the back but its still stuck. do they usually seperate easily?

alantani

yes, the cover is supposed to come off easily.  remove the handle, the star and the four screws and it should come right off.  you have a pm.  alan

mizmo67

Hi All!

I've finished a photo walk thru for the TRQ300 reel.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Repair/TRQ300guide.aspx
to assist in repair.

~Mo
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

BrianBM

A question about this reel.  It's a hefty beast, and I bought one (closeout) on the thought that it'd make a workable reel for tuna jigging.  What about deep drops with lead for tilefish, or anything else that needs two or three pounds of lead to go up and down in 400' to 1,000' of water?  How is the torque (in the engineering sense of the word)?  Am I going to be reasonably content cranking sinkers and fish from deep water, or will I want to hang up the rod after the sinker is retrieved once, and take up stamp collecting?

Currently spooled with God-knows-what yardage of 65 lb solid braid for the tuna, but I mean to collect some tilefish this spring too.

alantani

the "ease of cranking" under a load depends on the gear ratio and the length of the handle arm.  you'll have to just get out on the water to see if it cranks easily enough under the load you are using.  also, a larger handle grip ALWAYS helps. 

handi2

I do allot of deep dropping in the gulf for the same fish. It would get very tiresome using that reel or any conventional reel at those depths. The Torque does have a higher gear ratio than some others so with that weight it would make it harder to retrieve.

I use the Torques but not for that purpose. They are strong bullet proof reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

BrianBM

nelz

Yes, it should come right off, but often they don't. You'll have to tap it with a rubber mallet or similar.

handi2

For your info if needed...

All I could get was 25lbs with the drag star tightened ALL the way.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

nelz

None of these 1st gen Torques have drain holes on the sideplates, what's up with that? These reels were so touted for their revolutionary features and robust components, maybe no holes was supposed to be a good thing? There's a tiny hole on the chrome gear cover, but that's it.

Makes me nervous every time I mist my 100.  ::)