2 day on the Pacifica

Started by CooldadE, October 22, 2019, 03:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

20lb outfit  for those tiny baits and Coltsnipers work. Was on a whole day last Sunday. Got 2 on a glow jig on our first stop. Majority of the people who caught a lot were on 20lb fluoro, small hooks and can cast far. Good luck and enjoy.

bhale1

Cool,
Sounds like your good to go! Have fun and keep us posted! As a side note, the new management at the cafe at Seaforth is now called the Royal Rooster. Some of the best tacos Ive ever had, and I'm pretty taco savy....If you get a chance let me know what you think ;D...also the roasted corn is out of this world....The guy knows how to make some yummy food....He and "our" Chilie should hook up...
Brett

CooldadE

The only thing I like more than fishing is eating tacos ! I will check the place out when I check in tomorrow...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Fishy247

Awesome dude! I'm super jealous right now! Have fun and knock em dead!

mo65

Wow! A trip hosted by Steve Carson? That's too cool! Can't wait to see your post on the results. I bet there will be much to be learned...you are going to have a blast! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

CooldadE

Well, I'm back with the report... first of all , I love San Diego ! It's just to far away from LA...(Lower Antioch)
Seaforth Sportfishing was well organized and treated me (a novice) very well. They even offered to keep my rods and gear in the back while I killed time around the city waiting for my late departure.
 Before I left for San Diego I called the Seaforth tackle shop to inquire as to the fishing conditions and what gear I should bring. Carlos hooked me up and said the fish were very line shy and to be sure and bring a #20 outfit, along with something in the middle and a heavy outfit for earning, night or early morning Flat fall work. I thought I was set with my 7.5' custom Sabre rod with a Newell S229-5 for #20 an old 20-50 Fenwick rod with a narrow 112H for #30 a Calstar 6480 with my narrow 113h for #40 and a Phoenix PHD 760X2H with an Avet HXJ Raptor filled with #80... when I got there I found out my #20 rod was not up to the task at hand (a bit to limber) so with direction from Carlos I bought a Shimano Tallus TLC-70MBBL  30-65# rod to pair with my S229-5...
 Got to the dock and met a few anglers and talked fish till it was time to board.
Day 1 /  Got aboard and all stowed away then Capitan Andrew gave us the spiel on what's what and it was off to my Coffin like bunk. I woke up bout 4:30 ready to go. Seas were nice and flat... I ate a great breakfast burrito. Than Cap yells " Foamers" we all running out to see Tuna jumping in a froth. Deckhand Tommy starts throwing scoops of the small mackerel off the back and port side. I bait up my #20 rig as directed , throw out and within seconds am the first on the boat to hook up. Nice bend on the Tallus line pealing out then SNAP!  I reeled in my line to find the hook chewed off. The end of the line was sort of abraded/ frayed. I was told the fish could have takin my bait deep then it's teeth chewed off the hook. Real fast I grab my #30 outfit and as I grabbing bait a guy at the back of the boat gets one on... around the boat over and under for over an hour. Then double gaffed at the back of the boat over the rail comes a #100 plus Bluefin ! I'm Stoked!!! And fishing my little Greenie heart out...
 Then a father and son team both hook up within 20 minutes of each other and both land nice Bluefin. The rest of the day was a blur a few more fish caught. Evening  comes and the flat falls come out . 2 guys on the bow hook up only to have the fish get off. Then a little Vietnamese kid with dreadlocks (a very experienced angler) hooks one on the flat fall ! Over, under, around and through he's kicking the big fish's butt. About the fifth time around the boat there is a 4 way tangle.. all 3 deckhands are on it, my line is one involved so deckhand X asks for my rod to help unweave the mess. I back off out of the way and watch the frenzy, then I hear a Splash... and yes it's my above mentioned 80# rig deep sixed...  now it's frenzy X2. Luckily the big tangle was still there and they were able to fish the $1000 plus outfit out of the abyss...
 The fish was landed and eventually won the pool.
Day 2 / woke up to rough seas... I bounced around the galley a bit and felt it coming... I grabbed a bottle of water and headed out to the deck to start the chum line...I donated a handful then heard Cap yell " time to fish"
I rinsed my mouth, grabbed my rod and got to fishing. Tough day, a few smaller Blue fin caught and one Skippy.
Last stop before heading in saw no action.
 The first day we fished the back side of San Clemente island. Second day we were about 80 miles out from the harbor looking for the fish. This was my first foray into the world of Tuna and though I didn't land a fish, I learned a lot and will go again next year. By the way this was a Penn sponsored trip with Steve Carson on board with freebies, raffles and loaner outfits for any and all. Heck of a nice guy with a lot of knowledge. He hooked and landed a Blue fin on #15 on the last day... He saw my T4N1 reel and liked it. He really wasn't into hopped up vintage reels though. He was pushing the new Fathom series of reel... ( it's his job)
I have some pics but for the life of me can't get them to post. If one of you "Gurus" want to I'll send you the pics and you could add then to the post.

Cool

Crow

Sounds like a pretty good trip, with lots of action !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

El Pescador

CooldadE!!!!

Sounds LIKE A GREAT Trip!!!

BUTT we want photos of your trip!!!!

Send them to me, my email is under my Member List name.

I'll and post ASAP.

Thanks.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

El Pescador

These photos just sent to me from CooldadE!!!

Thanks for sending these photos!!!  Any trip is best enjoyed viewing photos!!!!!

Wayne

CooldadE

Agreed ! Thanks Wayne for posting the pics for me...

Cool

El Pescador

Quote from: CooldadE on November 02, 2019, 08:44:24 PM
Agreed ! Thanks Wayne for posting the pics for me...
Cool

CooldadE!

My pleasure Buddy Boy!

Keep fishing,

Wayne

gstours

Thanks for the story on your 2 day trip.  The pictures tell a lot of story.   That Wayne is a pretty nice guy but maybe it's been awhile since he has seen blood.😝.   

Ron Jones

Sounds like fun. What I've learned from multi-days over the last few years is that you get better each time around. You'll have more fun next year and be an old pro the year after that.

SD is always worth it.

Good on ya
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

CooldadE

We saw "Foamers" at every stop... it's quite a sight ! Never got close enough to cast into them though...
On a side note, I only saw a couple of private  boats out there. I think the smaller boats could have swooped in on the Foamers and done well...

Cool

Donnyboat

Thanks for the report Cool, as Ron said you will be a step ahead next year, that Wayne bloke, not a bad fella, when he is asleep, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat