What did I buy?

Started by cwillis85, October 24, 2019, 01:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwillis85

Hey everyone, picked up this nep-tuna for what I feel was cheap, simply because I always wanted one. Problem is, I don't know what reel goes to it. I attached some photos and the spool width is approximately 62mm with the plate diameter at the widest point being 78mm, these measurements were taken with the cheap caliper I bought 30 minutes ago so they should be close but maybe not dead on. The other thing that stands out is having 6 holes on one side and seven on the other, hoping that narrows it down. Oh and the finish is fairly unique, maybe someone is familiar with it. I am hoping to find out what it is and build a rod out of it, any help is appreciated.
Chris

Shark Hunter

Cool Find Chris. I can't tell you what goes in it, but I bet I have it. ;)
Life is Good!

mhc

Looks like a frame for a jigmaster 500 to me - the seventh hole on one side would be for the take-apart screw on the head plate. Interesting finish on it - is it painted or powder coated? I don't think cast aluminum will take an anodized finish very well but I could be wrong.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

cwillis85

I believe it is powder coated, but I really wouldn't know. The finish is very good quality, color scheme is a bot odd but the pattern is also very well done.
Chris

mhc

Hi Chris, The finish does look to be professionally done, when I first looked at your photos I thought it was 'splash' anodized, a term used for a number of multi-color dyeing techniques for anodized Al, but I didn't think cast aluminum could be successfully anodized. After a quick google it seems some cast Al alloys can be anodized - the finish will vary with the composition of the alloy. Looking at your photos again the finish does look more like anodized than the thicker coatings like paint or powder coat - I think my first guess that it was painted was... umm... wrong!  :)
How about the size, have you got a loose jigmaster plate to try?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

cwillis85

I think we have a winner with the jigmaster. I don't think I even measured it because I was thrown off by the extra hole. The only jiggy I have is one of the original run frames from Tom and I know the frame was not designed to be interchangeable with the factory plates, so the plate doesn't fit to where I could build a functioning reel but definitely close enough that I will be looking for a factory jiggy to test out before I go crazy trying to build something my wife or budget will be happy about.
Chris

mikeysm

The problem with cradle is its missing the ferrel. That is hard to find.

Mike

Bill B

Great find. Will be following to see how it all works out.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!