Issue with Release SG drag

Started by SevenYearsDown, October 24, 2019, 03:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

I am having a weird issue with a release SG I just got. I am having an issue with the drag adjustment. It goes from barely any drag, to a lot of drag but zero to none free spool. With some fine adjustments I can get it to have some free spool ( maybe 3 secs or less) but the drag is not much. Is this normal? I removed the drag knob and noticed there is no spring there. Would this be the culprit? I have orders the spring from seigler to rectify this.

SevenYearsDown

The spring arrived from seigler, it didn't really change anything. I watched multiple videos and I still can't figure out what's up. I have maybe 3 seconds of free spool at 5lbs of drag (measured with a scale). 2 clicks from that and I get 9lbs of drag, but zero free spool and the handle binds. Time to send it in I guess.

alantani

you should be getting more range than that.  part of it is the cam.  i'd have to look to know for sure, but grinding it down might help give you a more linear progression.  let's see what the company comes up with first.  can you let us know?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SevenYearsDown

I will Alan. It just got to them yesterday. I'm interested to know what the issue is.

SevenYearsDown

Quick update, got the reel a while ago and tried it this past Saturday. The reel came back good as new, and the drags are very good with awesome free spool. Sadly they did not include a note on what was the issue. All in all the service was pretty fast.

Recoil Rob

I ordered a Seigler SGN back in October from a retailer. This reel is advertised as having 30lbs of drag. I had it loaded with 30lb braid I set the preset drag to 10lbs. At the 10lb setting I could not depress the Strike button to allow the lever past it and get more drag. In fact, to allow the Strike button to depress I had to back the preset down to 6lbs.

I called Seigler and they told me to send it back. I did and they sent me a new one. On the new one the lever would not go smoothly over the button, it had to be wiggled a bit, and I felt that was not correct. It had to go back again.

They got it right on the 3rd try. Perhaps just bad luck, but they made it right.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

From the explanations above, sounds like assembling issues and not really anything wrong with the reel.
Maybe they would want to check what's going on with the guys on the assembling line😏.
Getting right on it to fix the problem is good.

Sal has always
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.