alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Issue with Release SG drag
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 12, 2019, 11:06:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Issue with Release SG drag  (Read 705 times)
SevenYearsDown

« on: October 23, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »

I am having a weird issue with a release SG I just got. I am having an issue with the drag adjustment. It goes from barely any drag, to a lot of drag but zero to none free spool. With some fine adjustments I can get it to have some free spool ( maybe 3 secs or less) but the drag is not much. Is this normal? I removed the drag knob and noticed there is no spring there. Would this be the culprit? I have orders the spring from seigler to rectify this.
SevenYearsDown

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 07:12:41 AM »

The spring arrived from seigler, it didn't really change anything. I watched multiple videos and I still can't figure out what's up. I have maybe 3 seconds of free spool at 5lbs of drag (measured with a scale). 2 clicks from that and I get 9lbs of drag, but zero free spool and the handle binds. Time to send it in I guess.
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:27:46 AM »

you should be getting more range than that.  part of it is the cam.  i'd have to look to know for sure, but grinding it down might help give you a more linear progression.  let's see what the company comes up with first.  can you let us know?  thanks!  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
SevenYearsDown

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:56:07 AM »

I will Alan. It just got to them yesterday. I'm interested to know what the issue is.
SevenYearsDown

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:33:24 AM »

Quick update, got the reel a while ago and tried it this past Saturday. The reel came back good as new, and the drags are very good with awesome free spool. Sadly they did not include a note on what was the issue. All in all the service was pretty fast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: