Painting/restoring a daiwa Slt 50w

Started by Noahg727, October 24, 2019, 04:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

I have the opportunity to purchase a daiwa Slt tournament 50w single speed for cheap. The owner says it works great mechanically but the outside shows a lot of wear and tear. Was thinking about purchasing it and refurbishing it. I already have unused, drag plates for this reel which I could easily replace if needed. I was wondering how I could go about repainting it? Is there a way to get the corrosion, I guess less obvious? Could I sand it out? I could take it apart and soak the parts I wanted to repaint in oven cleaner to remove the anodizing, and make try to anodize them from home. (YouTube has everything!) Or I saw another video where a guy sanded the scratches out of an old real and painted it with automotive paint. What do you guys think? Does anyone have any experience doing what I'm trying to?

Thanks
Noah

foakes

Since regular body/pit/void bondo or paste fillers will not anodize or adhere to powdercoating --

I would consider Alvin's Metal Lab Filler to fill the voids and pits.

Then work and smooth the surface until you are satisfied that it is as good as possible.

Then take it to a powder coating firm -- for the color and finish you want.

If you try to re-anodize the filled voids after smoothing -- the anodizing will come out blotchy and will be very evident.

Powder coating will hide all of that -- while giving you a result that is both unique, as well as very durable.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

While I don't repaint reels I've found Devcon Metal Patch & Fill to do a great job on small dents, scratches, etc. on lots of metal repairs. It's cheap, adheres well, sands to a nice smooth blended-in finish and paints well.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Noahg727

Thanks guys. Tremendously useful info 👍