Newell 220

Started by mike ferdinands, March 26, 2024, 10:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike ferdinands

Hi, I'm in the UK where Newell's are very rare. I have a 220 with the graphite spool but would be interested in changing it to an alloy spool so I can fit a mag control (I did this with a Surfmaster 100 and am really pleased with the result).
Does anyone do a 220 alloy spool?  The Tiburon XN conversion looks great, if anyone has one for sale.
The graphite spool casts really well, but I do like the extra control from the magnet.
Any advice or opinions gratefully received!
Thanks, Mike

Bryan Young

Hi Mike,

I believe I have a few 220 aluminum spool in my inventory. I'll send you a private message once I pull it out of storage to send you photos, price,... and please send me a personal message with your address so I can check on the shipping cost.

Thank you.
Bryan

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jurelometer

The stock aluminum Newell 220 spools that I have seen all have ribs on the sides of the spool, so  you won't be able to get the magnets close.  Not sure how much this matters.  I think that Tiburon made spools with smooth sides for the 220.

As to the advisability of the endeavor:

I may be a minority here but, I am a little baffled on the popularity of adding weight to these reels with aftermarket aluminum kits. What makes the all graphite version of the 220 special is how light it is overall, and the graphite spool is so light that it minimizes the need for cast control while also being able to toss very light weights ( a heavier aluminum  spool with a mag control doesn't help here). It is one of my favorite casting conventional reels.

One other idea:  The 220s are quite popular now, especially the G model, and you should be able to sell/trade your way into a more modern metal reel with the other features that you might be looking for.  Trying to turn a 220 into a similar reel with aftermarket parts will not be as successful.

But your reel, your choice!

-J

jurelometer

Bryan is our resident Newell expert. If you decide to go this route, you will be in good hands!

-J

mikeferdinands

Hi J,
That's a very interesting point about the light graphite spool and I agree that it casts very well. I'm using it for surfcasting, with sinkers from roughly 80g to 130g - say 3oz to 4.5oz. Its a bit lively, but I don't like using too thick an oil, hence my thoughts about the mag option. If my casting was smoother I wouldn't need to bother!
Bryan, thank you very much - I shall PM you with my address.

As I said, the Newell is very unusual over here, so that adds to it's appeal. I prefer older reels to be honest, usually Ambassadeurs of various sizes, but I do like the Penn 100!

Bryan Young

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry. I went through all of my parts bins looking for a 220 spool and none could be found. Surprisingly I only have 235 graphite spools.

Please accept my apologies.

Is there anyone in the Ohana that has an aluminum 220 spool to be spare, please help Mike out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike ferdinands

No problem Bryan, really appreciate you looking. Cheers, Mike :D