Ghost drag

Started by St Paul, October 27, 2019, 03:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Paul

Hi from the deep south of New Zealand. My 'go to' reel on our yacht has always been my old Longbeach 267. A couple of years back the drag failed so I stripped it down and fitted new drag washers. Thinking I was pretty clever  I got it all back together and what, still no drag. Set it aside and thought I'd come back to it one wet day. Two years later I bought another rod and reel combo as I needed something to catch a couple of cod for tea while we sailing. Finally pulled the 267 down again and followed step by step assembly. Yep still no drag. Had me scratching my head big time, the drag appeared fine when reassembled before attaching the spool but once back together, still no drag. In desperation I searched drag issues and found "ghost drag". Comes from using braid lines that slip on the spool, stripped the line and rewound, and bingo full drag restored. The one good thing out of all this frustration is my ability to strip and reassemble the Longbeach in a couple of minutes. Now that I'm sooo very clever, haha, I might do Alan's modification and make it a five stack drag
Cheers

foakes

Welcome aboard, Sir!

Good work...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Welcome from salem va,,,,,,,, ;D

Cor

That's the best way to learn as frustrating as it may be. ;D

No worry you've now got the best reel repair site to help you!

Welcome.
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

That is pretty much where we all started - welcome aboard the Tani Maru :)

Crow

Welcome, Glad to meet you !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Greetings, from Minnesota, USA.

Frank

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Good job working it all through to a successful resolution. When one person learns and shares their success' and failures we all learn. Principles this website was built on.  Oh, and welcome from the mountains of Southern California. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

it's an all too common mistake!  glad you figured it out.  welcome!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

did you change the way you attach the line to the spool?
if you just re-spooled tighter, you may get slippage, again

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19529.0