10/0 Reel Stand, What Is It?

Started by SeaDragon, October 27, 2019, 06:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaDragon

Yesterday I found at an antique shop a 10/0 Penn, very reasonable price, missing the front rod brace. I got it home and went to try it on a rod, and then noticed the rod clamp is marked 33-114, (6/0), and the studs were too short, radius on clamp to small for the rod. Since I have a new 12/0, I got out its rod clamp, 33-116, and it is much larger, with larger holes spaced wider. So what is this reel stand? It fits the reel correctly, but has no part # (first-generation part?) but the stud holes are closer together and smaller. And yes, it is a 10/0 reel. Could that stand be a 115 stand? It fits the sideplates correctly. The spool is 3 piece, no part #. The handle is not counterballanced, and there are parts #'s on some internal parts I can see. It has the sailfish on the left sideplate. What do I have going on here? What is that reel stand?

alantani

hopefully our large senator experts will chime in! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SeaDragon

Yeah Alan, (and nice to meet you) there are some real experts, walking textbooks on this stuff, and it is very interesting to me. I am really curious about this. These fellows know their stuff and often have parts that stun me. I love classic Penns, I fish with them pretty much exclusively.

Maxed Out

The 10/0 stand is unique unto itself and no other stand fits a 10/0. The smaller clamp studs and narrow spacing you described indicates an early pre war version. A newer 10/0 seat will take the same clamp as your 12/0 clamp

The 3 piece spool went away on 10/0 by mid 1950's .. Is the reel a bushing type, or ball bearing ??

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

SeaDragon

Thank you! It has the screw adjustable knob on the left side plate,  and nut on the right, so I guess it's a bushing? The 3 piece spool has no number I can find, offset arbor pin to the left. Is this stand of any interest to collectors? If so I would not want to modify it, especially if someone has a later one, but my intention is/was to use this reel if possible, I know the handle is wrong, and the eccentric jack, 11-116 has a number on it. What should I do with this thing? It apears somewhat mixed with post war stuff, the handle for sure. The rings have no cracks, screws come out easily. Does anyone have a later reel stand?

broadway

It's bushing not bearing.  Is the handle nut screw decent and without numbers? If so, would you be okay with $20 and a new handle nut screw. I could use the handle nut screw off her for a collector reel of mine?  Only reason I ask is that it's already a mish mosh of new and old parts and you plan to use it. 
Thanks,
Dom

SeaDragon

Let me see what happens here, I'm not sure I will use it yet, I'm talking to some guys that know these things and I'll decide what course of action to take with it.

broadway

Just figured I would ask. PM me if it interests you.
Thanks
Dom