Hawg at the R&D facility

Started by thorhammer, October 28, 2019, 12:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Every blue moon I will actually toss a plug in the pond out back on a Sunday evening...never disappoints. Got this girl yesterday, first cast, on a frog pattern jitterbug- my favorite plug as a kid fishing neighbord ponds and still is now. For scale, I'm about 24" wide across shoulders; she would likely push ten pounds in spawn.

John

thorhammer

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

El Pescador

John!

Nice Catch Buddy Boy!!!

BUTT why is the bass taller than you???? ::)

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Rotated photos, John --

Nice bass!

Released her?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Thanks, Fred! Yes, released- haven't kept a bass in decades, probably, unless bleeding badly from a  gut-hook. I mostly use top water or spinner baits for the little bass fishing I do anymore, very rarely a worm, so most are lip-hooked.

Long Enuff

Nice fish! I am, however, more envious of that readily available stress relieving body of water in your back yard!

cwillis85

Beauty John, I too do not utilize the local ponds enough but when I do, my daughter will catch a small bass every cast and occasionally I pull a football sized bass out. It can keep me sane when the Cobia aren't in town.
Chris

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Beautiful fish, beautiful spot.
-steve

Maxed Out

One can only dream of such a fish on the very first cast

Next time you need to have a normal size person pose with your fish. You would make a 30# king salmon look like a Brook trout
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 28, 2019, 07:35:55 PM

Next time you need to have a normal size person pose with your fish.

or use a beer can to get a reference on the size.

great catch by the way, I have the beach at 10 minutes drive from my house and used to cast with light tackle every 3 weeks few years ago, I have at least 2 years that I havent done it mostly becasue we dont have much shore fish on sandy beaches (because of the crazy tide that goes up and down 1/2 mile 2 times per day) and rocky areas are not that near.
The Baja Guy

Benni3

Big largemouth and great sunset,,,,love it,,,, :D my next question it what gear,,,,, ;D

happyhooker

Nice 'un--take one of those any day if I could get it.

Frank

thorhammer

Mainly I feed the eater crackers (big shellcrackers) and a few blue cats that live under the dock while having a coffee or cold one depending on time of day. When we moved from the coast it was not happy day for me, so the place kind of found me I guess you'd say. After about the third look, I decided it would be good to at least have a little water. There's always a heron and geese, and this year we had an egret show up, plus a dozen mallards, assorted hawks and kingfishers, deer, rabbits, sliders and snappers, bullfrogs, etc.

Benni, I keep a few rods rigged in the shop (R&D lab :) for the neighborhood kids, but also have a 420SS on a whippy stick for myself and in this case, an Abu 5500C, I think the second one (of a LOT) that I ever got. It's on a seven foot graphite IM6 or 7 with cork grip, a Shimano something or other. I have a whole rack of 5500's on 7' cork handle sticks, most with 12 or 14 Stren original fluoro blue, as I grew up with. The little dinky reels these guys are using now remind me of the Ryobi VMAG 1 my brother had when we were 8.  These new reels the tourney guys are using look like a keychain fob in my hand, not a fishing implement, lol.