Unsticking stuck Aftco rollers?

Started by Gaujo, October 29, 2019, 06:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaujo

I have a number of rods that have stuck rollers, what is the procedure to get them spinning again?  Thank you!
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

thorhammer

The Aftco will have a separate bushing inside the roller; very likely, yours have some gunk / corrosion in there sticking. Not to worry- happens to everyone. If you are able, remove the rollers- it takes two small screwdrivers and turn opposite direction, and helpful if you have extra set of hands to hold the rod. Soak in a penetrating oil such as Corrosion X, Deep Creep, Blaster, etc. for a while. A trick I learned when they are still stuck at this point is to push the roller down on an ice pic and gently start working the roller back and forth- most always works as the lube works down in the roller. If the screws are stuck to begin with, same thing- squirt with penetrating oil. May need to use a soldering iron to heat screw head if really bad. Once all cleaned, oil the bushing, reassemble and check rolling with a dowel or run a piece of line through under tension to work everything in.

John

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Jim Fujitani

I have come across some rollers that has screws set with blue permatex, so just be aware.  If the screws won't budge, try a little heat before muscle, as John suggests.

Clean the parts with something like Corrosion X and a Q tip.  If the roller sleeve is a little sticky after cleaning, hit it with some emery cloth wrapped around a Q tip.  It might be time to replace the sleeve (cheaper than the whole roller).  And check the outside surfaces of the roller for grooves, pitting, and burrs, while you are at it.

Cuttyhunker

Before you disassemble try some penetrating oil then take a few feet of line make 2 or 3 turns around the wheel, pull it tight and pull the tags back and forth to break free the roller, then lube it.  Works 95% of the time for me.
Doomed from childhood

thorhammer

Another trick- if the rollers have corrosion due to poor cleaning  and maintenance, very likely the chromed Aftco's will have verdigris also....After removing the rollers for due attention, I wrap the frames (in place on rod) with blue shop towel (denser than regular paper towel) and tape off with masking tape, then soak the towel with white vinegar and keep damp a couple of days. This is a trick borrowed from our reel servicing, and can work really well depending on how bad it is, just like a reel. In extreme cases, I have had to tape off the guide (where really wanted to preserve wraps) and remove all chrome from the stainless frame with fine dremel wire wheel. Still looks and performs well; I just make sure I clean and maintain after fishing. Sounds like a lot of effort but in actuality, it's about a 2-3 beer job :) and costs very little, vs. paying someone to rewrap (even if DIY wrapping, a regular Aftco set with tip will run $80 to your door, and HD, BigFoot, Wind-on, etc. series go up from there rather steeply).

Well worth the effort to recover / restore a trolling rod these days, where heavy glas sitting in a holder is still just fine. I occasionally come by such equipment with aluminum butts, roller guides and decent blank, and even leather foregrips, in good shape for 30-75 bucks. Even if I to fully rewrap the rod, it's worth it: This type of a rod will run upwards of $300 and way more new, and aluminum butts start at a hundred a piece just for a new handle, should one want a custom build.

I did a resto as above on a pair of vintage Varmac aluminum butt Fenwicks; needed a couple of rollers replaced(courtesy of Gary the Butt Man), and replaced the tips with some NOS swivel tips I had waiting patiently for years. I will detail that whole job with the wrap and finish separately, but I ended with less than $40 in each- $30 for the neglected rod, $3.50 for the tips at flea market in new packaging (they are $80 each to my door from Mudhole, lol), and let's say $7.50 in thread and FlexCoat. Just my time vs. watching ball games...

My 0.02

John

pjstevko

I was given an old (brown blank) Fenwick 640 IGFA 50lb class roller rod that I'm thinking about getting back into usable condition.

Are the older Aftco rollers on the inside of these guides all the same size?????

I'd like to take them all out at once for cleaning instead of doing it one at a time. Any unforeseen issue with that plan????

If the rod cleans up nice I'll talk to Adams Khanh about rewrapping it....

thorhammer

No, that's a terrible plan. A good plan is send to me to flank the matching 30lb one I have :)

PJ, follow process as I write above, shouldn't have issues. Rollers should be same size- I just checked the identical 50 lb. rod I'm doing the same on for a buddy. You can try the string trick first, but really you should dissassemble- that looks more like grime than corrosion, I think, and actually may have preserved it a bit. If the wraps are otherwise in good shape and you want to keep it somewhat original, Khan is very good with very light coats and could likely just put two coats over existing and it will look 100% better, and last your next 30 years.

What reel are you putting on it? A black 6/0 or 9/0 would look ole skool, like a mini-Jaws bait rod.

John

Donnyboat

Hi John & co, for sercising the rollers, after removing the screws, sometimes with a little penitrating fluid, & heat from a soldering iron, I then force the bush out of the centre, I then use fine steel wool rapt around a drill bit, give it a spin or two, I then split piece of thin dowel, & place some wet n dry cloth, in the split, 2000 or 2500, give that a spin or two, then lube it & place it back together, hope this helps some one, just my two cents worth, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

pjstevko

Quote from: thorhammer on November 22, 2019, 10:25:31 PM
No, that's a terrible plan. A good plan is send to me to flank the matching 30lb one I have :)

PJ, follow process as I write above, shouldn't have issues. Rollers should be same size- I just checked the identical 50 lb. rod I'm doing the same on for a buddy. You can try the string trick first, but really you should dissassemble- that looks more like grime than corrosion, I think, and actually may have preserved it a bit. If the wraps are otherwise in good shape and you want to keep it somewhat original, Khan is very good with very light coats and could likely just put two coats over existing and it will look 100% better, and last your next 30 years.

What reel are you putting on it? A black 6/0 or 9/0 would look ole skool, like a mini-Jaws bait rod.

John

John I took them all off one by one and cleaned them up the best I could with Simple Green, hit the bearings with TSI321 and put them all back together. They all roll really nice now. I'll have Khanh remove the guides, clean them up even more then rewrap with similar thread to the original. Hopefully that won't cost TOO much.....

This rod will get fitted with the "Golden Eagle"!

thorhammer

Don, great idea about spinning out the bush! I will do that...

PJ, great call on the Golden Eagle....consider some pink Ande to ole skool flair it up...

Gaujo

Just wanted to pipe back up and say thanks for all the help.  I was able to get all of my rollers but one rolling again. 
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

Brendan

Thanks for bringing this up. I recently dealt with a sticky roller tip and figured it out but this is helpful since I have to take a look at my trolling rod.
Tight lines, Brendan.

thorhammer

Benni3

I ran in this about 2years ago,,,, ;) big rod for $75 with aftco bigfoot rollers,,,,, :D I little penn oil and it was back in shape and did the job,,,,, ;D