Back with questions from Alaska

Started by AlasKen, March 05, 2021, 10:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I have been absent for awhile. I live in Anchorage, AK.  I recently retired and busy as ever.  I fish out of Seward in a 24' Tolman that I built in 07.  I hope to get out more this summer.

In 2016 I got the reel bug from Alan's site and decided I was going to hot rod my Penn Senators, not because they really needed it but because I like the looks.  Fact is the stock frame and setup is stronger than I am.  I got Tiburon frames from someone on this site but have forgotten who.  I got some 113H double dog bridge plates and 114 SS gears with special cut washers with 4 ears.  I wanted a set, so i got frames for a 112H Special, a 113H, and a 114H.  I also got another what I believe is another 114 with open top.  I got busy, boxed them all up and never got to the project.

Fast forward to last night.  I had a nightmare where every time my grandson hooked up he got spooled because there were no drags.  I decided that summer in Alaska will be here soon, I am now retired so decided to see what I have.  I had started the 114 years ago but lost that darn dog spring.  I opened it up checked it all out and ordered some dog springs, and dogs.  The 114 uses the Tiburon frame with the stock red side plates.  It has some of the pro challenger SS gears with special cut drag washers.

I started the 113H using the guts of a 113HLW.  This uses the pro challenger double dog bridge.  It uses red aluminum side plates. I wish I could remember where I got them.  If anyone knows please let me know. I ordered some stuff from mystic parts last night.  Decided to go with standard SS gears and shaft.  Not sure proper names right now.  I have one of Alan's power handle to go on it.  I ordered new HT 100 washers for it and to have on hand.

The 112H special is from a ebay parts reel.  Using the stock side plates with a black Tiburon frame.  The handle is bent so I ordered a power handle as well.  The internals looked good and were well greased.  Other than replacing the drag washers, including metals, I will just go stock right now.  I wish I could find a SS double dog bridge for it simply because it is so easy to install.

Just for grins I also went through a Penn 209 that my 8 yo grandson uses.  It looked like I had just serviced it.  Wiped it down, wiped done the drag washers and relubed them with Cals purple grease.  It should handle anything he can.  I have started trying it as Alaska is pretty cool even in the summer.  I also have a 209 for my granddaughter but I ran out of steam before I got to it.

A couple of Charter Specials and an Okuma lever drag to go.

Well that is my re-intro.  After a 5 or 6 year hiatus I am back.  If anyone can tell me who was selling the Tiburon frames and side plates I would appreciate it.  Especially if they are still available, just in case.

thorhammer

Tib frames, Randy Pauly here, as Vintage Offshore Tackle. Plates would be Cortez Conversions, also present here (Tom).

scrinch

Welcome back, Ken, and congratulations on your retirement! I think I remember seeing you over at fishyfish.com years ago. I never ended up building a Tolman, but I used what I learned there to design and build a smaller boat using similar materials and techniques. I bring my Tiburon-framed 113h and 114h up to Sitka each year for halibut and lingcod. A longer handle arm helps a lot for cranking up a big halibut from 3-400 ft.

AlasKen

Scrunch, Totally agree on longer handle arms.  Also Alan's big handles.  

Thor hammer, thanks for info.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I just sent you a PM Ken.  It's great to have you back!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Welcome back Ken....if I remember correctly th5te 112H the abridge plate as the jimaster, so a P/C double dog bridge should fit....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!