Pro gear 541 bearing removal

Started by SearedTuna, October 30, 2019, 07:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SearedTuna

Hello everyone,

My first post here!

I am having trouble getting out the left side bearing from the left cap.
The reel was not in good shape when I got it opened!
I am with the Army Corps of Engineers in Okinawa and found the reel in a shop. I have heard how good they are and also need to find out when the full 113H kit from Pro Challenger will be available again. I need 2 of them.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

alantani

if you have a bearing that is badly stuck, sometimes you have to pull out the bearing and cup as a unit, remove any o-rings, and torch it until it literally glows.  then you can get in with a "bearing puller" and wiggle it out.  these can really test your skills, and patience!

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: SearedTuna on October 30, 2019, 07:59:01 AM
Hello everyone,

My first post here!

I am having trouble getting out the left side bearing from the left cap.
The reel was not in good shape when I got it opened!
I am with the Army Corps of Engineers in Okinawa and found the reel in a shop. I have heard how good they are and also need to find out when the full 113H kit from Pro Challenger will be available again. I need 2 of them.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I may have all of the parts you need. I could also help you remove the bearing from the cup if you need assistance. Should be no problem with APO. I have shipped several items to Okinawa in the past.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

I have 3 sets of prochallenger double dog bridges, and 3 prochallenger ss gear sets remaining. No gear sleeves.  I personally would use the stock brass gear sleeves because I have seen the parts gauling against one another because I believe the same stainless steel is being used for all of the parts. Let me know.

Thanks

Oh, by the way, the progear gear sleeves will not work on these bridges. The securement pin is located in a different location.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Welcome aboard!
If you are still having trouble removing that bearing you could send it my way and i'll get it out for you.
Your cost would be shipping only. Sorry I would usually pick that tab as well, but have been out of work for a month and need to make adjustments.
just send me a personal message and I'll take care of the rest.

Enjoy your stay,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Sharkb8

I removed bearings the same way but packed grease in the hole.

Kim

SearedTuna

Hey fellas,

Thanks for the responses!!

Any chance I can send the reel to one of you master builders to give it a fresh lease on life?? I would pay for the trouble and parts of course!

V/r,
Jay

Bryan Young

Hi Jay, I would gladly service the reel and build up as needed/requested. My backlog is 20 reels at the moment  it would have been less but I bruise my ribs and cannot put too much pressure on my movements. Let me know if you can wait a spell.

Bryan

Donnyboat

Ay Jay, its not that hard to service the reel yourself, as you have just witnessed, with the help & responces, about the bearing, have a go yourself, I`ve got my money on you, good luck take digital photos as you go, then you can place it back together easy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

My chat is about using heat, flame the bearing and cup area several times.  the heat and cooling can be helpful in breaking the bond between the dissimilar metals.  maybe add some solvent when cooled and maybe you can make an l shaped tool and get behind the race and pry and pull?  Sometimes these bearings can be stubborn.  you will sacrifice the bearing and help youself.   good luck. ???

Rivverrat

Quote from: alantani on October 30, 2019, 03:58:45 PM
or this!

Packing with thick grease works with this method also. The bolt or what ever is used needs to fit snug in the center of the bearing to work well... Jeff

oc1

That's like the toilet paper trick that Alan once showed us.