Penn 712 line hitting the rotor cup

Started by Ruffy, October 30, 2019, 08:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Hi all,
I've got a 712 which I'm using a fair bit. I've noticed if the spool is at its lowest position in the cup, and drag is taken, the line will contact/ride over the edge of the cup when it's feeding off the bottom of the spool. Has anyone filed down the cup or is there another solution? It's the only way I can see around it but don't really want to take the paint off a greenie in decent nick.

Cheers,
Andrew

mo65

If you can add a washer under the spool, that may get you clearance, just as long as it doesn't wreck the line lay on the spool. I just checked my 712z and it does it too! Looks like a design oversight. The rotor even has a "scooped out" area to allow the line to clear it, but it definitely rubs the rotor at the lowest position. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ruffy

Agree on the oversight Mo, it's the only fault I have with this reel. I'm happy with the line lay as it is, if I lift the spool it'll load up too low. Time to break out the file and sandpaper I'm thinking.

Cheers,
Andrew

oc1

All of mine do it too.  From 700 to 716.  I'm crushed and may just go to bed for a week.
-steve

Ruffy

I know the feeling Steve! The options as I see them are to break out the files, or sell off all my first gens and get on the SS series with there skirted spools  :'(

Do you predominately fish braid or mono? I fish braid only and am worried about it fraying/breaking at that point. Has anyone ever had this happen? Other side effect I could see would be a pulsating drag, which is not ideal.

Andrew

wfjord

I wouldn't worry about it for a second.  All 11 of mine do it.  Been using first gen spinfishers for almost 40 yrs and never a single problem with line wear or breakage from that --and never heard about any problems.  Got 'em spooled up with various manifestations of mono, fireline, and spectra.

foakes

In my opinion, Andrew --

Leave it the way it is -- and make sure that the bail support closest to the line guide is not distorted or bent -- might need a tweaking adjustment.

Or, try an extra spacer under the spool -- this shouldn't affect line lay enough to be a concern.

And remember, these Penn Spin-fisher's have been used by millions of anglers for nearly 5 decades now -- with no apparent reports of line wearing issues.  It is really not an issue.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Under this condition (spool lowest in rotor)...can't you just crank it a bit so that the spool will be higher and line won't be dragging on lip of the rotor cup?
***Edit: So I was assuming that this was only happening under drag in a line going out situation. I don't own a 712 but I have looked at a few photos. Isn't the rotor cup already relieved a little bit where it would contact?
-Mike

oc1

I think the problem would be on the retrieve and especially when drag is being pulled out; not while casting.

That was very astute of you Andrew.  I only fish spectra braid and, in all honesty, seldom fish spinners at all.  When I do use a spinner it probably a Spinfisher though

It's not so much the fraying or actual line breakage, it's just the fact that an obvious potential problem was not fixed in the design phase.  It would really jump out you in a profile drawing.  All it would have taken was a half-millimeter adjustment here and there to fix it.  You really have to question Penn's competency during that period.  If you trusted Penn to design a good reel then this feels like a betrayal.  I don't trust new Penns, but I trusted them in the days of the old Spinfishers.

-steve

Midway Tommy

At the risk of being stoned, caned, and even possibly banned,   ;D  I now must acknowledge that I've always felt Penn spinners, when compared to a lot of other top quality spinners, were somewhat over rated.  :o I guess I'll divulge it now, one of my winter projects is to do a Shakespeare 2062 vs Penn 712, since they're practically the same size reel, tutorial that will compare their design and quality of materials. I've been thinking about it for awhile now and I doubt, even though Penns have a greater following and Shakepeares are much less expensive, that there will not be much difference. It will be, at the very least, an interesting comparison.   ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 31, 2019, 05:13:25 PM
  I guess I'll divulge it now, one of my winter projects is to do a Shakespeare 2062 vs Penn 712, since they're practically the same size reel, tutorial that will compare their design and quality of materials.   ;)

What an excellent idea for a post Tom, and you're right, feathers will be rustled and fur will fly! I guess I better hunt up some good "tossin' rocks" fer the Midway Tommy stoning. ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 31, 2019, 05:13:25 PM
At the risk of being stoned, caned, and even possibly banned,   ;D  I now must acknowledge that I've always felt Penn spinners, when compared to a lot of other top quality spinners, were somewhat over rated.  :o I guess I'll divulge it now, one of my winter projects is to do a Shakespeare 2062 vs Penn 712, since they're practically the same size reel, tutorial that will compare their design and quality of materials. I've been thinking about it or awhile now and I doubt, even though Penns have a greater following and Shakepeares are much less expensive, that there will be much difference. It will be, at the very least, an interesting comparison.   ;)

Can't wait to see this Tommy!  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Cuttyhunker

I've had warped rotors on old greenies catching and rubbing the spool. Found the low spot on the rotor, pulled the spool and rested the cup against a heavy dowel clamped in the vise.  Worked it with a rubber mallet against the dowel until it pulled away and wasn't rubbing the spool anymore.  Whack with discretion not fury.
Doomed from childhood

nelz

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 31, 2019, 05:13:25 PMone of my winter projects is to do a Shakespeare 2062 vs Penn 712, since they're practically the same size reel

I've owned both and they are fine reels of their time. The 712 is all around more "robust" though, and has a much better spool and beefier ball bearing. The 2062 has a more reliable roller, not super hard like the 712's but it actually rolls like they're supposed to.

I like them both!

Ruffy

Quote from: nelz on November 14, 2019, 04:42:51 AM
The 2062 has a more reliable roller, not super hard like the 712's but it actually rolls like they're supposed to.

Is there anyway around this? The 704s have that collar, but that doesn't seem to help. Only thing I can think of is to oil it every time before use?

Cheers,
Andrew