CT Conversion for Penn Mag Tuned 10?

Started by Matt_Tuers, October 31, 2019, 01:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt_Tuers

I grabbed a Penn Mag Tuned 10 off eBay to match to an old yet serviceable 12' surf rod I recently refurbished. The Penn 10 will be used for distance casting, so off came the levelwind bits and in went some more magnets. I'm afraid that over time the frame will get warped, so I want to build or buy a CT crossbar assembly to replace the worm shaft and hood... as well as find some unobtrusive nut caps (metal or plastic) so I can put the slotted crossbar screws back in (I bought some new screws that only protrude about 1/16" into the cage there).

Does anyone know of a kit that will leave the reel with a workmanlike appearance and provide enough support? By the way, permanently altering the reel is perfectly fine with me. I only paid $30 for it.

Porthos

Doubtful a "kit" exists. You can measure the diameter of the worm gear and go to an industrial metal supply store for an aluminum rod of similar diameter.

Have the measurements for exactly how long you need it to be and have the shop cut for you also that the ends are squared off. This will allow the "bar" to sit flush on both ends to the side plates.

Ron Jones

I'm just going to say it, the title of this thread is incestuous. CT=Topless Abu. A mag 10 without the level wind just makes sense, call it topless ;)
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

xjchad

I make a levelwind delete kit for the Mag 10.
You can see it in the first page of this thread:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25555.0

All stainless steel $25
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Matt_Tuers

Quote from: xjchad on October 31, 2019, 03:44:38 PM
I make a levelwind delete kit for the Mag 10.
You can see it in the first page of this thread:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25555.0

All stainless steel $25

Nice. Do you have that on eBay or something? I assume it clears the spool flanges and has a diameter bigger than the worm gear's holes?

xjchad

Quote from: Matt_Tuers on October 31, 2019, 05:14:14 PM
Nice. Do you have that on eBay or something? I assume it clears the spool flanges and has a diameter bigger than the worm gear's holes?

Here's a couple of pictures.

It fits the hole in the inner rings perfectly and the width is such that it is clamped between the side plates and becomes a structural support.  No modification to the plates is necessary so the levelwind can be reinstalled if desired.

oc1

xjchad

Donnyboat

Great Chad you do, do nice work, very strong, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Porthos

Didn't account for custom kits... :D

Matt_Tuers

Does anyone know the screw specifications (diameter, threading) for the standard post/crossbar screws on this reel? I need that top post gone and replaced with acorn nuts or something to hold the ring to the plate, but give clearance for my thumb.

oc1

If you remove the cross bar then you will only need a screw and nut from the hardware store to hold the ring to the plate.  Anything that fits through the hole will work.  Probably about a 4-40.  I just trim the screw flush with the top of a hex nut then file down the edges of the nut to make it smooth and rounded.  It protrudes over the spool less than an acorn nut.
-steve

xjchad

Quote from: oc1 on November 01, 2019, 07:22:33 PM
If you remove the cross bar then you will only need a screw and nut from the hardware store to hold the ring to the plate.  Anything that fits through the hole will work.  Probably about a 4-40.  I just trim the screw flush with the top of a hex nut then file down the edges of the nut to make it smooth and rounded.  It protrudes over the spool less than an acorn nut.
-steve

Bingo!  Exactly what I was going to say Steve.  And I believe you are right about the 4-40 thread on the Mag 10.

Matt_Tuers

FYI: got the 4-40 nuts squared away. They're a tad loose, but still hold the factory screws which I'm thinking are more like #3, though Lowes and Home Depot don't sell anything that small.

Quote from: xjchad on November 01, 2019, 07:31:53 PM
Quote from: oc1 on November 01, 2019, 07:22:33 PM
-steve

Bingo!  Exactly what I was going to say Steve.  And I believe you are right about the 4-40 thread on the Mag 10.

oc1

Get a machine screw to fit the nut.  Then cut the screw down so it does not protrude pass the nut.
-steve