cardinal 152

Started by swede 53, October 31, 2019, 03:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swede 53

I picked up a 152 at a garage sale recently,when i opened it up i see that it has a plastic crosswind block that snaps onto the spool shaft.I ran into these on the Korean made 554 and 556 that i have and broke one on the 554 taking it apart,luckily there are a lot of parts for those out there yet.Trying to decide if i should try to remove it or clean it as best i can,took the bail assembly apart,cleaned and tweaked the bail and its good but i can't really get to the pinion bearing with the shaft only part way out,didn't know if you could remove the pin from the spool end of the shaft and take it out the other way after removing the drag.Any advice would be appreciated.

Midway Tommy

I've removed many of them without any problems. They used that type block on the ABU 52, 54, 55, 57, 152, 154, 155, 157, & Zebco 554, 555 & 557. I've run into more issues with the plastic bail spring covers cracked from the screws being too tight than anything else.

Just be patient and careful. Rotate, i.e. flip, it over so it's off the oscillation gear, put equal pressure on both ears and it should pop right up & off. If it's really dry put a little grease on the shaft and work the block over & back a couple times to make the shaft is slick.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

swede 53

Thanks Tommy,i probably didn't pry evenly on the one i broke,didn't know if these were prone to break so am glad to get some of your cardinal knowledge before i went any farther.The bail was full of sand when i took it apart it had been lubed with grease,i read one of your posts where you mentioned using armor all to lube the bail and iv'e used it on a number of reels now and it's worked well.Was going to put this reel on one of my microlite rods but with the weather in Wisconsin this week i might just as well put it on one of the ice rods.Thanks.

Midway Tommy

You might want to think twice about fishing it, depending on what you paid for it. Depending on condition and accessories those things will bring anywhere from $75.00 to $150.00+ in the US. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

swede 53

I had no idea,its the only one i have ever seen,the 500-700 series are common here but fulcrum drag models are scarce,lot of times here at an auction you will see a St.Croix rod with a cheap reel on it though you will see millionaire and ambassadeur baitcasters.I gave $8 for it on a rod that wasn't worth anything,the line capacity numbers on the spool are faded but otherwise it looks decent.I would post a picture but my desktop died and i haven't figured out how to do it on this chromebook.Waiting for the youngest daughter to have time to instruct me.Change is hard for old farmers.

happyhooker

It isn't only the old, and it isn't only the farmers.

Frank

Midway Tommy

QuoteI gave $8 for it on a rod that wasn't worth anything

That's a heck of a buy!  8) I'll give you $12 & you keep the rod for a slick & quick 50% profit and pay the shipping!  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

swede 53

Finally got time to finish working on this 152 and was able to get it apart and serviced,had to spool it up and try it out,its a slick little reel and as much as i hate to pass up Tommy's offer of a 50% profit  ;D   and it's hardly what you would call mint i think i will put it on the shelf since it's the only 50 or 150 series Abu iv'e seen other than on ebay.Saw a couple Zebco Cardinals over the years but don't think people around here had the money for the higher end reels,now i'm buying a few of the reels i looked at and couldn't get in my younger days.
Quote from: happyhooker on November 01, 2019, 12:33:05 AM
It isn't only the old, and it isn't only the farmers.

Frank
glad i'm not alone on this,will have to tell my daughter,she keeps trying to get me to trash my flip phone. Got a number of other reels to get into but since i'm semi-retired my time is limited at this time of year.Thanks for the help,its really appreciated.