Advise needed to mix glow paint

Started by gstours, November 01, 2019, 03:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hello all experts.  I,m trying to make some glow paint for jigheads and bait/scent spacer tubes using Aluminate Powder Pigment..
      What should be used to bind the powder for brushing on over a basecoat?  If the Basecoat is the primary color would you use a clear type of enamel, epoxy, lacquer?  Just wondered?   Then what could be used to coat over to help it to add durability? 
   I,m thinking the coating could be even latex based?  butt a clear hard coat i,m thinking might be enamel, possibly baked some?
Thanks for any experience shown. 

jurelometer

My only experience is with baked on powder coating, but I think it probably works the same for other paints. 

The glow pigment has to be mixed with clear and used for the top coat.   Any opaque pigment is blocking inbound light  for charging and outbound light for glowing.   The lighter the undercoat color, the brighter the glow, with white being best of all.

-J

Benni3

I used auto clear coat,,,but if too expensive unless you have it,,,,,maybe rim clear coat in pray can,,,,,, ;D

oldmanjoe

I would try rod epoxy and glow power mixed , just like marbling a rod .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

gstours

Thanks for the advice,  and experience.  I was using white for the base coat for jigs earlier with accepted results butt this was for a premixed paint over the base coat.
   Now I'm trying the powder thinking it may be better for the longer glow property's.
Maybe even adding the powder pigment to already mixed glow paint,  could raise the spacific gravity or octane so to speak.   Just saying thanks.🎣