Getting an older daiwa saltiga, good idea?

Started by SevenYearsDown, October 26, 2019, 07:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

Thinking of getting one of the older jdm saltiga. Is it still a good idea? Let's say it's in good working condition, are there parts available for it that I can get, or can I use parts for the US version counterparts (are there even parts for those available?). Or maybe I should just get the new saltist or torium and be done with it.

alantani

i'd pass on this one.  it's tough enough getting parts for the us reels.  many parts might be the same, but the one that breaks is most likely going to be the one that is not.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

I have a 40 HK from 2005 and use it as my goto reel for casting at Yellowfin tuna.
I have been fairly happy with the reel, (considering what I use it for may be seen as abuse)

HAD THE FOLLOWING ISSUES OVER ITS LIFE
I broke a drag washer,
somehow damaged the pinion and replaced it
drag got completely cooked
Replaced a rough spool bearing
spool broke (known problem) was partially replaced by Daiwa.

I still like the reel and am happy with the service I got from it.

I would buy another older one, but then am used to battling to find parts for some reels.

PS  I now remember that the pinion got damaged because one of the Yoke Springs got adrift and worked its way in to the gears.    I concluded that it could only have been because I assembled it badly...... so not reels fault, blame service mechanic!

Cornelis

Porthos

If you are keen on doing this then buy TWO fully functional units of the same model; one to fish, the other as a parts unit.

I eventually had to do this with my Penn 970 Mag Power; the second unit was cosmetically beat up while internally fully functional...this allowed me to negotiate the price down.

Cor

Quote from: Porthos on October 27, 2019, 03:18:00 PM
If you are keen on doing this then buy TWO fully functional units of the same model; one to fish, the others as a parts unit.

I eventually had to do this with my Penn 970 Mag Power; the second unit was cosmetically beat up while internally fully functional...this allowed me to negotiate the price down.
that will work!

For 15 years I bought only the same type of conventional reels, which was an excellent plan as I could constantly use parts from one to maintain the another.   Only problem was that there are a number of parts that always wear out so I still had to purchase those and at that time a set of gears and perhaps 3 bearings was the price of a new reel.
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

Bearings (excl. AR) are readily available, as are cf replacement drags. I've even had a company laser cut some stainless washers to upgrade reels to a 5/7 stack - cheaper than I thought.
However bail arms (as an example) and other manufacturer/model specific parts are not usually worth the bother. As has been said - if you get hold of a parts reel, you're in business - otherwise you're pretty mush screwed. I'm mainly talking about spinners and baitcasters cos I believe alot of them are designed to be used then binned. With conventional reels you do have more of a chance particularly if they are Penn.
We live in a throw away world >:(

MarkT

As I recall, the old Saltiga star drags were all metal and pretty simple. If it's in good shape at a good price, go for it. The parts that can't be replaced are mostly unlikely to break anyway. It's not like you're looking to fish it hard daily for the next few decades, right?

You're looking at something like a 10-12yr old Saltiga 30T, 40, etc?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

the plastic bracket that supports the eccentric and the free spool lever were the most problematic.

Cor

Quote from: alantani on October 28, 2019, 03:43:31 PM
the plastic bracket that supports the eccentric and the free spool lever were the most problematic.
I wonder if you're not thinking of the Saltist, ......many of their clutch levers broke as the SS part that forms the axel worked loose in the plastic lever.    Daiwa eventually replaced mine with a full SS one from a Saltiga as they had no more of the plastic junk in stock. :'(
Cornelis

alantani

it's the black plastic bracket under the eccentric.

Cor

Thanks, never doubt the boss!! :o :o
Will have to look sometime.
Cornelis

Porthos

Quote from: alantani on October 28, 2019, 08:40:05 PM
it's the black plastic bracket under the eccentric.

Hmm...if it is just plastic then possibly a "project" for a 3D printer?

alantani

yeah, it's a plastic base that is held in by rivets!   not a design that i would have chosen.  you could certainly mcgiver something, but that is beyond my pay grade.   :-\

SevenYearsDown

Thanks for all the insights. I was looking at the z30 or z40. I'm not going to fish it every day, it's the GAS talking lol.