Saltist 6500H Drag

Started by Ralph165, November 01, 2019, 11:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph165

I have a first generation Daiwa Saltist 6500H. The reel has been lightly used. The drag is very sticky though. I tried replacing the OEM washers with smoothdrag carbon washers. I also tried replacing the steel washers with new ones from Daiwa. I even tried lapping the original steel washer to grind them flat. No luck. Even when the washers are greased, they drag still sticks. I tried to replace the actual spool itself, but unfortunately that is not a part Daiwa stocks any longer.

Any suggestions?

mo65

Have you checked the washer under the spool? Often times it is more important than the stack inside the spool. I looked at a schematic and there appears to be an o-ring, a washer, and a click spring holder under the spool. I'd check that stuff out...maybe grease those pieces. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Quote from: Ralph165 on November 01, 2019, 11:44:14 AMThe drag is very sticky though. I tried replacing the OEM washers with smoothdrag carbon washers.
Any suggestions?

Did you grease the carbon washers with a grease designed for specifically for drags? Also, you can't let oil or other greases get mixed in with the drag.

Ralph165

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. I did grease the drag with Cal's drag grease. They were brand new when I greased them.  I also greased the washer under the spool, but I will check all those components more closely. Someone also suggested I thoroughly clean and grease the inside of the spool where the drag stack goes..

I have been trying to find a new spool, but had no luck. Although I would be surprised that would be the issue. It's a shame, the real is barely used. The last fish I caught on it, a shark, had the rod tip throbbing due to how sticky the drag was.

nelz

Ralph, it really sounds to me like oil contamination in the drag. I would remove them, clean them thoroughly soaking in solvent, drying with paper towels. Then and just to test, install them once they're nice and dry - no grease. If it's smooth like that, you can lightly add some Cal's. But be careful that the main shaft isn't too oily and getting oil into the drag. Keep us posted!