3 Oahu Trolling Trips

Started by Tightlines667, November 12, 2019, 01:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I managed to make it out on 3 trolling trips here on Oahu over the last week.

Last Sunday we trolling the ledge down to Koolina from Pearl Harbor to fuel the boat up.  We picked up a nice Ono a couple of miles outside of tye harbor and missed a short strike on the way back.

On Friday we left Pearl Harbor at 0600hrs, and ran 3 hrs at 15knots to Molokai.  We trolled 15nm down to Kalupapa and 10miles back before pulling lines at 3pm and running back to the dock by 630pm.  We went through 24 ballyboo with about 20 bites, lost 2 fish to gear failure (wire break, crimp failure), lost a Mahi boatside, and some shortbites.  Maybe 4 were Wahoo, 7 were small stuff (Mahi, Bonito, Rainbow Runners).  Still we managed to land 4 nice Wahoo, 1 Mahi, 1 Kawakawa, and 3 Rainbow Runners.  We sold 3 Wahoo to a local restaurant, and the rest went to the anglers.

Saturday we picked up the anglers at Ke'ehi at 0630hrs.  We ran marlin lures and dinks out to Penguin.  Trolled the ledge with wire, pin rigged ballyhoo islanders, 7 line/ 2 planers spread like the previous day.  We caught a nice 26lb cow that roostertailed into the spread from 100yards abeam, and a 12lb bull on the planer.  Switched to a marlin/mahi spread at 2 and plied the deep with only 1 short bite miss before returning to the fuel dock at 530pm.  The fish were cut for the anglers.

Not a bad way to spend some quality time on the glassy Pacific Ocean.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Awesome, I reframed an old garage door opening.  Would rather have been on the water.

Benni3

Fantastic trip,,,,,,great job my friend,,, ;D

Crow

Sounds like a pretty good week !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !