Jigmaster /Surfmaster Drags ?

Started by Tyee II, November 01, 2019, 05:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyee II

I am about to start some winter maintenance on my Jigmasters and Surfmasters. There are lots of options in drag washers and this has likely been answered a 100 times on this site. I have used delrin under the gear and have been pleased with this but I have used a variety of washers for the drags. Smooth Drag, Penn HT 100, a carbontex off of ebay. All greased with Cals. The use has not been severe enough nor the duration between maintenance periods long enough to say that one has been significantly better than the other. The price varies a bit but I dont want price to be a consideration ( within reason ). I would like to order in quantity and this is what I use from here forward. Anyone have experience that they feel has made one or the other stand out in these reels in basically stock configuration ?  I basically asked this about a year ago and the thread somewhat sort of expanded to talking about ss sleeves with Bryans 5 stack and I decided I didnt want to go that route at least to begin with and that is still my thought. I would like to hear just about basically an unmodified  stock configuration reel. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Swami805

Pretty sure HT100 are Carbontex or similar material so should be the same performance wise. Smooth drag sells Carbontex too. Might try lapping the metals for smoothness. Probably doing the best you can with stock configuration. Like you said there's a bunch of other modifications you can do
Do what you can with that you have where you are

wfjord

The thinner Carbontex washers gave me a somewhat wider drag adjustment range on my Surfmaster.  I used it under the gear, too.

Edit:
Actually I don't remember if I used Carbontex or delrin under the gear on that reel. I've done it both ways on various reels --I'm going to have to start keeping a record of what I put in my reels.

Porthos

If you are JUST doing Jigmaster/Surfmaster Drags in STOCK config, then the Penn HT-100's would be the path of least resistance.

If you ever intend to expand beyond factory stock, It's necessary to consider I.D,, O.D., AND thickness for any project. Instead of stocking up on pre-cut washers, get sheets in a range of thickness and cut your own. This way you have better options of matching up to the height of a stock stack by mixing different CF washer thicknesses...may be more efficient than having to double up or more depending on the height needed.

Tyee II

I have been using delrin under the gear. Possibly I should rethink this in terms of thickness of the stack and the possibility that the under gear washer my play into the overall performance of the drag ? Is this something to consider ?

Tyee II

I just came across a Keta post regarding this. Delrin smoother, carbon fiber a bit more drag. Makes sense.

Porthos

Jury may be still out on whether there is perceptible difference for the delrin under-gear washer when less than "high" drag . When 20lbs or more for the Jigmaster w/ SS internals, CF's will shred per Sal.

Donnyboat

Yes Sal is correct, you just have to be mindful, that once you set your drag, that it is not necersery to screw the drag down anymore, as the more line removes from the spool, as the fish is running, the stronger the drag is getting, so once you set it don`t fiddle, lets face it, a set of Carbon fibre for the drag, will last for many years.

By the way, I make a lot of comments on this forum & also receive plenty, but rarely do I, thank Alan Tani for this great sight he has created here, that has brought so many good people together around the world, with great comorardery, and true OHANA, thanks again Alan.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

The key to keeping the undergear carbontex from shredding is to make sure it is a smaller diameter than the ratchet teeth...like the washers supplied in Bryan's kits. I feel that if you have a reel that can make 20lbs. or more of drag, you don't need to be trying to salvage another 2lb. under the gear. Use Delrin for those big reels. The reels that make under 15lbs. of drag are where I use a carbontex under the gear, and only then when the user wants a little extra power, but to keep stock brass components. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Tyee, I run HT100's in all my reels.  Mysticparts is my supplier.  For the most part, they (CF's) are all the same.  I would be wary of "off" brands.  IMO if HT100's is good enough for Penn to use, they are good enough for me.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 02, 2019, 07:00:20 PM
Yes Sal is correct, you just have to be mindful, that once you set your drag, that it is not necersery to screw the drag down anymore, as the more line removes from the spool, as the fish is running, the stronger the drag is getting, so once you set it don`t fiddle, lets face it, a set of Carbon fibre for the drag, will last for many years.

By the way, I make a lot of comments on this forum & also receive plenty, but rarely do I, thank Alan Tani for this great sight he has created here, that has brought so many good people together around the world, with great comorardery, and true OHANA, thanks again Alan.

I read this a lot on here and just don't understand it at all. I set my drag to be strong enough to set the hook and then adjust it as necessary to allow / control runs, accommodate the amount of line that's been taken etc. I couldn't imagine being successful leaving my drag alone.

Concerning the material, especially if you can spend the money, Brian's 5 stack makes everything nicer. Lots of the upgrades sold on here are nice to haves for the majority of fishing, but the 5 stack drag, a SS gear sleeve and a better handle wil make the experience so much more enjoyable.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

If you use Bryan's 5 stack he reccomends a steel main gear as a minimum.

Bryan Young

Carbon Fiber drag washers, irrespective of who makes them will essentially perform the same. 

One thing that I have noticed is that HT-100s are usually sponger which means that they will often work better at lower drag settings, but will not get as much top end as the drag washers compress.

Carbontex is often very rigid and not very compressible, and therefore, the ramping up on the drag range appears to be faster as you tighten the star, and you can get slightly (very slightly) higher drag numbers...in my experience, 1#-3#.  Not significant at the utmost limit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D