Shimano TTS-50

Started by Normslanding, November 12, 2011, 12:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normslanding

Alan or anyone, I just read posts about drag for a TTS-50. I have a mint TTS-50, that Cal two speeded some time ago. It does some trolling duty. I read in the past that not much can be done to get a little more drag out of the reel. Cal didn't think so. Have you got any ideas. Sure would get more use if it had a little more drag.

josa1

Sorry to hear that you're having a problem with this reel's drag system.

I don't really know what might be the cause.  I have 5 TTS 50Ws that obviously have the same drag and I don't seem to have any problem with any of them.  Four are Cal 2-speed conversions.  I bought 2 of them new and have acquired the others on Ebay and Craigslist for "parts" (Shimano doesn't make parts for these reels any longer) and ended up making repairs and putting all of them in service.

All of my reels still have the "canvas" drag washer. If you remember, Shimano called these drag washers Titanium.  Is this what your reel has?

My reels will lock up the drag system if I want.  I regretfully learned that I can get enough drag to easily break 80 pound Izorline. What is the maximum drag you can get?  Is this drag at strike or full?  I have caught YFT to 287 pounds on these reels.

Let me know some particulars and I will try to help you.  I think I even have a couple of spare drag  washers that I purchased many years ago and have yet to use them.  This because the durability of the washers supplied with the reel is so good and I don't get to go big fish fishing as often as I would like.

josa

alantani

how much drag are you getting now?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Normslanding

About 22 at strike. I have talked to some who just push it to full and use what they get. I would like to fish 130 on the reel.

alantani

to increase the drag range, you generally have to stiffen up the belleville configuration.  go from "()()" to "(()))"  that usually gives you a 50% increase.  alan

Normslanding

Thanks. I will give it a try.

alantani

i have some extra belleveilles.  if you can measure yours, i might have a match.  send a pm with the dimensions and your shipping info and i will see what i have in stock.