5+1 Ultimate drag question

Started by PeteRocck, October 30, 2019, 06:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteRocck

Hello all,
I recently started hot rodding my childhood Penn 505hs. I bought stainless steel gear set from Pro Challenger and a 5+1 ultimate drag washer kit and stainless drive sleeve. The issue I'm having is. when I reassembled the bridge into side plate and put original spacing sleeve in there's only about 3 threads showing on drive sleeve.  I can get drag star on but not far enough down to have the handle sit down all the way. Unless I crank down the drag star to full drag. Can my tension spring washers be to tall? Drive sleeve not long enough? I'm not afraid to modify the spacing sleeve a little but just wondering if something else is wrong and might cause more problems down the road.

thanks, Pete
Current Reel inventory
2-505hs, 2-49, 1-500, 3-battle2 4000's
1-320GT2, 1-5500ss, 1- Daiwa Emcast, 1-15TLD

Gfish

I wonder why I didn't think a that?: Pro Challenger gears. The original gears on the 505/506(5:1 ratio)have pretty fine teeth compared to the JM 500's gear teeth(4:1 ratio).
Did you get the PC 5:1 Jigmaster gears, and if so, how do the teeth compare to the 505's original gear teeth? Are they larger or the same?

How many spring washers are you using? Only Remedy that I knowa would be sanding down down the drag(spacer) sleeve.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Use one spring washer on top of the drag stack. No other spring washers needed. The spacer usually has to be cut down about .040". It shouldn't need to be shorter then .430 -.440".        Rudy

PeteRocck

I am only using one spring washer. The one that came in kit. The gear set is for the 505hs Alan said its really 4.8:1 
I'm thinking the spacer needs to be cut down maybe surface sand the spring washer a tad to get more contact against last drag plate and at same time get more threads to show. So I guess this is somewhat normal situation?
thanks, Pete
Current Reel inventory

mo65

Quote from: PeteRocck on October 30, 2019, 08:42:13 PM
I am only using one spring washer. The one that came in kit. The gear set is for the 505hs Alan said its really 4.8:1 
I'm thinking the spacer needs to be cut down maybe surface sand the spring washer a tad to get more contact against last drag plate and at same time get more threads to show. So I guess this is somewhat normal situation?
thanks, Pete

Not uncommon at all. I've had this problem several times. You can eliminate the spring washer, but then the power comes on faster. Some folks like that...some don't. If you don't, just shorten that spacer instead. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Here's a link to Mystic's list of spacer sleeves.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/9-60.aspx

There are many lengths available.

As has been mentioned, they can be sanded or machined to the desired length.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

RowdyW

Most of the shorter ones are discontinued so you have to shorten the longer ones anyway. Make sure the top eared washer tang isn't sitting on top of the gear lip.

PeteRocck

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I'll post my results
Current Reel inventory

Bryan Young

The Belleville spring Washer is provided to help move the pressure to the center of the the drag stack. It is not required to be used. If you want to use it, you may need to shorten the spacer as advised above. I do this in a drill press and file away the height while the spacer is spinner. I have also done it by rubbing it on a file while apply pressure to the spacer. I suppose a dremel with a flat grinding cylinder could be used too. Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D