International 30TW after 4 months under the sea, unbelievable

Started by sebastian_garcia, November 02, 2019, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastian_garcia

4 months ago I was fishing in the pacific, Guerrero Mexico
We were on the way to catch some sailfish and dorado, on the way we trolled small feathers to catch false tuna (barriletes) then we have all four rods bent with four fish on, I don't know if the drag off the 30tw get stock but after some seconds the line didn't come out and the panga rod holder broke it up and my rod and reel sank into the blue, we were approximately 300 meters away from shore.

A few days ago I received a call from a friend that runs a small fishing store in the area, he told me that a scuba diver that fish for octopus and other species had fun a rod and reel near the shore not even close from the place were I lost it and he recognized my rod, I had to pay and buy again my rod and this is my story.

foakes

That looks to be in better condition than some of the reels I have cleaned up recently.

Good ending.  Hope you can restore it.  It deserves another life.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

4 months. That's a lot of crust on that. I'd like to see how the anodizeing held up also the insides.       Rudy

sebastian_garcia

I hope can restore it, I was thinking to fill everything with some paste and then painting

Quote from: foakes on November 02, 2019, 08:14:24 PM
That looks to be in better condition than some of the reels I have cleaned up recently.

Good ending.  Hope you can restore it.  It deserves another life.

Best,

Fred

sebastian_garcia

I think the inside it's ok the bearings and everything works, I always grease my reel following the instructions with blue grease and pack bearing that helps a lot

Quote from: RowdyW on November 02, 2019, 08:26:04 PM
4 months. That's a lot of crust on that. I'd like to see how the anodizeing held up also the insides.       Rudy

Sharkb8

Lucky you got the reel back looks like pirates of the Caribbean hope it cleans up.

Kim

Crow

Neat story ! Be sure to post some pix, after you do the clean-up....I'm betting it'll look great !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

MarkT

You had to pay to get it back? I hope you didn't pay much!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sebastian_garcia

Yeah I have to pay because the scuba go to the store to sell it, Literally the rod in that moment it wasn't mine he found it

Quote from: MarkT on November 03, 2019, 02:56:43 AM

oc1

You must have really liked that rig.   :)

It would be impossible to pass it up though.
-steve

Cor

To me it looks like it could be a fun project, but economical viable....I don't think so.
I would first make a budget before proceeding, maybe just make it appear to be restored, without replacing parts and making it functional.
:'( :'( :'(
Cornelis

sebastian_garcia

Cor
Inside the reel everything is fine and working, the spook has some deep holes I don't know how to fill them

Quote from: Cor on November 03, 2019, 08:44:54 AM
To me it looks like it could be a fun project, but economical viable....I don't think so.
I would first make a budget before proceeding, maybe just make it appear to be restored, without replacing parts and making it functional.
:'( :'( :'(

foakes

I am thinking that I may just soak it in vinegar for an hour, or so like you already have -- to halt the corrosion process --

Then display it on the wall with a plaque that explains the day it was lost and the recovery from under the sea.

Or, you could buy new parts such as plates, spool, frame, etc. 

Just depends on your thoughts -- as well if this is trying to save money, a challenge, or a showpiece...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cor

Glad to hear its all fixable.   Some epoxy "filler putty" ??
Cornelis