International 30TW after 4 months under the sea, unbelievable

Started by sebastian_garcia, November 02, 2019, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastian_garcia

What you recommend to fill it

Quote from: Cor on November 03, 2019, 04:38:45 PM
Glad to hear its all fixable.   Some epoxy "filler putty" ??

Cor

Sorry can't help....I don't live in US.   I was thinking of polyester car body filler that I used to fix various fibreglass things with.   

I use a Sika product https://zaf.sika.com/dms/getdocument.get/baa18d43-6ee0-3f51-ba7a-55ead49302cf/Sikadur%20-AP.pdf
for a variety of small filling and gluing jobs and have had good results but have never tried what you are attempting.

Perhaps someone knows of something more suitable.
Cornelis

whalebreath

Quote from: Cor on November 03, 2019, 06:44:47 PMI was thinking of polyester car body filler that I used to fix various fibreglass things with.   
Yes Sebastian you need to talk to an car repair shop somewhere that does body work they can tell you what's easily available in Mexico and what might work.

Benni3

Quote from: whalebreath on November 04, 2019, 01:19:48 AM
Quote from: Cor on November 03, 2019, 06:44:47 PMI was thinking of polyester car body filler that I used to fix various fibreglass things with.  
Yes Sebastian you need to talk to an car repair shop somewhere that does body work they can tell you what's easily available in Mexico and what might work.
I do paint and body,,,,just go to any body shop and show them what you got and ask for 3m panel bond or they even be somebody there that will prime it and paint it,,, :) for a little side money,,,,and you can catch a fish,,,,,, ;D

thorhammer

That actually cleaned up pretty well- your most economical option will likely be fill holes with JB Weld; it's sandable, then paint with high temp epoxy paint, both should be available at auto store, and cure it in oven or grill. I think Fred said an hour or two at 150 degrees F. Not as durable as powder coat, but you'll be out only about $20 USD. Also, powder coat is thick enough that it MIGHT throw off some tolerances for assembly.

Dunno how close you are to Alex (Steelfish), but if you do the reel you might consifer having him restore the rod, if he is willing and has time. He does great work, and if you go that route it's your own choice of colors to match the rod and reel. I've actually had a few such rods reeled up that looked like that, and they came out pretty well with a paint job and new guiides. Just a thought.

John

broadway

John beat me to it, JB weld that sucker!
Looking forward to the final product.   You've done a nice job so far!
Dom

whalebreath

Quote from: thorhammer on November 04, 2019, 12:43:45 PM....fill holes with JB Weld...
Quote from: broadway on November 04, 2019, 03:04:01 PM....JB weld that sucker!
There's no saying JB Weld is available in Mexico-that's why I posted ask locally first.

sebastian_garcia

Ok I'm going to check what is available in Mexico
Thanks Sebastian

Quote from: whalebreath on November 04, 2019, 01:19:48 AM

sebastian_garcia

I think I'm going to use jb weld and I was thinking to use duracoat to paint it

The paint you say is available at autozone do you have a picture or the info please

Quote from: thorhammer on November 04, 2019, 12:43:45 PM
That actually cleaned up pretty well- your most economical option will likely be fill holes with JB Weld; it's sandable, then paint with high temp epoxy paint, both should be available at auto store, and cure it in oven or grill. I think Fred said an hour or two at 150 degrees F. Not as durable as powder coat, but you'll be out only about $20 USD. Also, powder coat is thick enough that it MIGHT throw off some tolerances for assembly.

Dunno how close you are to Alex (Steelfish), but if you do the reel you might consifer having him restore the rod, if he is willing and has time. He does great work, and if you go that route it's your own choice of colors to match the rod and reel. I've actually had a few such rods reeled up that looked like that, and they came out pretty well with a paint job and new guiides. Just a thought.

John

thorhammer

Durakote would be better if you have it, I think. I think John (Tightlines666) did something similar on a 12 he got from  Ted....where is that post....

John, if you see this, how did hold up?