alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial International 30TW after 4 months under the sea, unbelievable
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 18, 2019, 09:00:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: International 30TW after 4 months under the sea, unbelievable  (Read 408 times)
sebastian_garcia

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:07 AM »

What you recommend to fill it

Glad to hear its all fixable.   Some epoxy "filler putty" ??
Cor
Cape Town

I am probably fishing......

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »

Sorry can't help....I don't live in US.   I was thinking of polyester car body filler that I used to fix various fibreglass things with.   

I use a Sika product https://zaf.sika.com/dms/getdocument.get/baa18d43-6ee0-3f51-ba7a-55ead49302cf/Sikadur%20-AP.pdf
for a variety of small filling and gluing jobs and have had good results but have never tried what you are attempting.

Perhaps someone knows of something more suitable.

Cornelis
whalebreath

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »

I was thinking of polyester car body filler that I used to fix various fibreglass things with.   
Yes Sebastian you need to talk to an car repair shop somewhere that does body work they can tell you what's easily available in Mexico and what might work.
Benni3

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 07:30:19 PM »

I was thinking of polyester car body filler that I used to fix various fibreglass things with.  
Yes Sebastian you need to talk to an car repair shop somewhere that does body work they can tell you what's easily available in Mexico and what might work.
I do paint and body,,,,just go to any body shop and show them what you got and ask for 3m panel bond or they even be somebody there that will prime it and paint it,,, Smiley for a little side money,,,,and you can catch a fish,,,,,, Grin
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:15:43 PM by Benni3 » Logged
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 04:43:45 AM »

That actually cleaned up pretty well- your most economical option will likely be fill holes with JB Weld; it's sandable, then paint with high temp epoxy paint, both should be available at auto store, and cure it in oven or grill. I think Fred said an hour or two at 150 degrees F. Not as durable as powder coat, but you'll be out only about $20 USD. Also, powder coat is thick enough that it MIGHT throw off some tolerances for assembly.

Dunno how close you are to Alex (Steelfish), but if you do the reel you might consifer having him restore the rod, if he is willing and has time. He does great work, and if you go that route it's your own choice of colors to match the rod and reel. I've actually had a few such rods reeled up that looked like that, and they came out pretty well with a paint job and new guiides. Just a thought.

John
broadway
Sensei

Broadway Dom, New York City

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 07:04:01 AM »

John beat me to it, JB weld that sucker!
Looking forward to the final product.   You've done a nice job so far!
Dom
whalebreath

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »

....fill holes with JB Weld...
....JB weld that sucker!
There's no saying JB Weld is available in Mexico-that's why I posted ask locally first.
sebastian_garcia

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »

Ok Iím going to check what is available in Mexico
Thanks Sebastian

sebastian_garcia

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »

I think Iím going to use jb weld and I was thinking to use duracoat to paint it

The paint you say is available at autozone do you have a picture or the info please

That actually cleaned up pretty well- your most economical option will likely be fill holes with JB Weld; it's sandable, then paint with high temp epoxy paint, both should be available at auto store, and cure it in oven or grill. I think Fred said an hour or two at 150 degrees F. Not as durable as powder coat, but you'll be out only about $20 USD. Also, powder coat is thick enough that it MIGHT throw off some tolerances for assembly.

Dunno how close you are to Alex (Steelfish), but if you do the reel you might consifer having him restore the rod, if he is willing and has time. He does great work, and if you go that route it's your own choice of colors to match the rod and reel. I've actually had a few such rods reeled up that looked like that, and they came out pretty well with a paint job and new guiides. Just a thought.

John

thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 12:08:52 PM »

Durakote would be better if you have it, I think. I think John (Tightlines666) did something similar on a 12 he got from  Ted....where is that post....

John, if you see this, how did hold up?
jon_elc

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 12:18:38 PM »

this is an amazing thread! 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: