Heddon 210-R

Started by festus, November 02, 2019, 10:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

These Heddon 210-R have been scarce, been looking for one quite a while.  Found this one in decent shape, everything worked, anti-reverse, bail trip, drag, etc. The bail didn't have that crisp, loud trip, but the reel was perfectly fishable as it came delivered. No shelf queen of course.  These are probably considered medium to heavy freshwater or very light saltwater reels.

A previous owner had spooled this with some very heavy mono, probably at least 30 lb. test.  Very doubtful it would have cast any distance.

Removing the handle by turning clockwise.

Removing the handle side cover plate.  These are Phillips head screws.

Removing the main gear.

Removing the non-handle cover plate.

I've noticed that in reels that have two cover plates (not only Heddon) usually the non-handle side screws are shorter.

Removing the slide guide and axle.

A look at the main gear.  Don't lose the little screw slide guide bushing!

A look inside the rotor.  Another one of those bail slide assemblies I'm not too impressed with, but hey, it's worked for 50 years.

A 14 mm socket removes a right hand thread rotor nut.

A look at the pinion, pinion collar, and one of the pinion collar washers.

No bearings under there but there is an (oilite?) bushing built in.  (Pardon out of focus pic)

Removing lubrication cap.

One thin shim on the main gear shaft.

Removing line guide nut.

Removing bail arm and spring.  Heddon's schematic calls this bail arm a "hinge."  When I first discovered this site, I got very confused on different manufacturer's naming pattern.  This piece is known as an "angle lever" on a D-A-M Quick.

A common drag assembly with some of these Heddons, one thick soft washer and one metal washer.

A look at the anti-reverse assembly.  Decided to take the lever and cam off so I could scrub some grunge from the outside.

Simple Green, Dawn Dishwashing Detergent, WD-40, and a toothbrush cleaned it up.

Reassembling the anti-reverse.

Reassembling the bail spring, bail arm, and bail screw.

Reassembling the lubricated pinion and collar.

Sliding the collar washers back into place.

Rotor reattached to the housing.

Screwing just a portion of the handle into the main gear shaft prevents anything from falling apart during reassembly of the reel.

A look at the reassembled and lubed main gear and anti-reverse assembly.

Reassembling handle side cover.

Reassembling slide guide and axle.

Buttoning up the non-handle side.

Reattaching the lubrication screw.

Reassembling the handle.

Reattaching the spool and drag knob.

Cleaning, then new grease and oil worked wonders. This 210-R weighs 15.75 oz on my scales without any line.  The old ad from the 1960s describes these for light salt and heavy freshwater, steelhead, lake trout, northern pike, and muskie. Line capacity is 200 yards of 15 lb. mono.

festus

Here's the schematic.

Crow

Another great write-up, Festus !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester! You didn't leave anything untouched on that guy.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Nice work buddy! Heddon drives me mad with the numbering scheme...the 215 is like a toy...then this 210 is a medium/intermediate size. Did the bail speed improve? I bet it did, I've had miracle recoveries. It's amazing how slow the bail can be...and then just wash all the parts and it snaps to life! How can a little crud hold back that spring so easy? ???
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on November 03, 2019, 06:22:05 PM
    How can a little crud hold back that spring so easy? ???

Grease and/or oil. They all used it for short term effects. It kept the bails functioning in the short term to keep the consumer from complaining. After a few years of no maintenance or plain old adding oil or grease they just gum up more. Biggest disservice they could do to an open face spinner, but, hey, works out good for us now! A lot of users have no idea so they'll get rid of those oldie but goodies for cheap.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crow

I can't make much sense out of Heddon's numbering scheme, either, Mo ???
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Quote from: mo65 on November 03, 2019, 06:22:05 PM
   Nice work buddy! Heddon drives me mad with the numbering scheme...the 215 is like a toy...then this 210 is a medium/intermediate size. Did the bail speed improve? I bet it did, I've had miracle recoveries. It's amazing how slow the bail can be...and then just wash all the parts and it snaps to life! How can a little crud hold back that spring so easy? ???
Yes Mo, the bail is working much better.   

The gear ratio is about 3.5:1 on this one. 

These 210-R are similar in size to the 212, 277, and the 260-R.  The 212 and this 210-R have no ball bearings.  Comparing the 210-R, 212, 260-R, and the 277, the 277 seems to be the best built. The 212 is the most simply built but I still like it.

happyhooker

Another enjoyable read.  Two-tone greens forever!

Frank