Those Odd eBay Packing Materials

Started by mo65, November 03, 2019, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Did you ever open a package from the big auction site and wonder what the...what is this?? Who sits on a stack of files from the mid '50s until now, and then just crumples them up as packing? I knew the papers were old just by the color and smell.(I've collected comic books since the Avengers were in diapers) Just seems like an unceremonious end for something that was saved for so long. I've opened boxes packed with things I would have been embarrassed to use for packing. Feel free to share any oddball packing you've encountered...PG rated that is. :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Yeah, That IS a strange one ! And, yeah, some of the "padding"IS pretty far out....i'm used to the "foam peanuts....but had one reel come with REAL peanut shells...messy, but not as messy as the one packed in straw ! Had a couple packed with popcorn...popped, of course. I've seen the "popcorn" before, with tractor parts, that came out of Tennessee......it was stale, too :-\. Crumbled up newspaper, of course..and paper towels, and even toilet paper (unused, thank the Lord !). RE cycle, RE use, and RE purpose!! Waste not, want not! Good ,old American ingenuity ! Gotta' love it !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

wailua boy

Dog poop bags inflated with air, not the first thing you want to see opening a package. They were unused but still...

nelz

' couple of rat droppings in there for good measure...

oc1

Someone selling off an estate and using the deceased's papers?  Waste not, want not.
-steve

RowdyW

I hate those damn popcorn peanuts. A bunch wind up on the floor even when unloading over a trash can. Then you have to search the trash can to make sure no small parts fell in there with the popcorn packing.

oc1

Quote from: RowdyW on November 03, 2019, 09:33:15 PM
I hate those damn popcorn peanuts. A bunch wind up on the floor even when unloading over a trash can. Then you have to search the trash can to make sure no small parts fell in there with the popcorn packing.  >:(      Rudy

I hate almost all packaging.  E-Bay sellers think they will impress you with their packaging by adding more tape.  Commercial plastic clam shell packs are getting harder and harder to open.
-steve

festus

l don't recall any packaging material that unusual.  But a while back l got some reels that were shipped in a Natural Ice 12 pack box and another in a Sylvania, or maybe GE floodlight box.

philaroman

my peeve is packaging that approaches, or even exceeds the value of the item inside

RowdyW

Quote from: oc1 on November 03, 2019, 09:56:47 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on November 03, 2019, 09:33:15 PM

I hate almost all packaging.  E-Bay sellers think they will impress you with their packaging by adding more tape.  Commercial plastic clam shell packs are getting harder and harder to open.
-steve
Steve for those clam shell packages I use an old heavy scissor & cut 3 sides & then it opens as easy as a book.  ;D ;D

wfjord

One of my big gripes is the over-use of clear packaging tape.

I recently received an ebay purchase in it's original small thin cardboard product box which the seller had wrapped with an 8.5 x 11 sheet of white printer paper and covered the entire thing with clear packaging tape. Impossible to open with fingers.

I also dislike the tough, adhesive sealed plastic shipping bags---virtually impossible to tear open with bare hands---which the sender then goes over with excessive packaging tape.

Box cutters don't always get it done safely and cleanly, so now have two pairs of high quality sharp, pointy solid steel scissors dedicated to opening difficult ebay packages. 

oc1

Quote from: wfjord on November 04, 2019, 03:09:02 AM
Impossible to open with fingers.
I can't even get into a pack of cheese crackers with my fingers any more,  Hawkbill knives come to my rescue.
-steve

1badf350

I've gotten used socks. They were clean I think but definitely not new.
Fitted bedsheets too and God I hope they were clean
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

Quote from: festus on November 03, 2019, 10:00:48 PM
l don't recall any packaging material that unusual.  But a while back l got some reels that were shipped in a Natural Ice 12 pack box and another in a Sylvania, or maybe GE floodlight box.

I know who the Natty Ice came from in Northern Ky  ;D ;D ;D

Donnyboat

I dont have any packing problems, cos I cant aford to buy any reels, keep well cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat