Those Odd eBay Packing Materials

Started by mo65, November 03, 2019, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

The most obnoxious I have ever received was shredded paper.  Peanuts have nothing on how messy that crap is.

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on November 03, 2019, 09:26:07 PM
Someone selling off an estate and using the deceased's papers?  Waste not, want not.
-steve
what,,,,, :o I have gotten news papers as old as the reel or in a foreign language so I called a number of a ad in the paper  ??? That was confusing,,,,,,, ;D

Fishy247

what,,,,, Shocked I have gotten news papers as old as the reel or in a foreign language so I called a number of a ad in the paper  Huh? That was confusing,,,,,,, Grin

That's awesome Benni...hahahahahaha

AC49

I have received a Penn reel in its original box that was sellotaped (clear packaging tape) closed from every corner possible. Used the wife's hairdryer to loosen the glue in order to open the box. 6 months later it's still sticky to the touch. Hopefully it will reach vintage status by the time the stickiness disappears  ;D ;D

Regards
AC49

rogan

Never seen this before... just bought a new to me reel and it came in the usps box held in place (so it didn't rattle) by a plastic clamshell... from I don't know what item... not sure what the white foam is for, it wasn't touching anything when I opened the box

Dominick

Mystic crumbles the local newspaper.  I usually read the fishing report, but sometimes the referral pages are not there leaving me wondering about the rest of the article.  This is not a complaint Mo.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Brewcrafter

Technically not an ebay score, it was part of an estate from a friend that was stationed in Korea, Guam, Japan, and Okinawa.  I assume based on the very brittle packing that was where he picked it up.  It is a very interesting combo that I kept as a conversation piece - it has one handle but a number of bamboo sections, some have snake type guides and some regular guides.  I suspect it was so that you could have both a spinning rod or a fly rod with the same outfit.  It's very pretty but even the guidewraps (which I am guessing are silk) are deteriorating.

Brewcrafter

Sorry, posting photos drives me crazy (not being tech savvy).  Anybody want to take a shot at decoding this "packing material"?  I'm wondering if it's a date of some sort.

oc1

It's difficult to see the rods but is that, by chance, a wooden box?  There was a time when everyone who went to Japan/Okinawa bought one.
-steve

Brewcrafter

Spot on Steve!  I did some hunting around the forum and found your excellent description of the Kiraku/Grampus rod kits and all of their many relatives.  The box is a little beat up, but nothing a little glue wont fix.  I do not believe the rod was ever used since it still has paper wrapped around the handle section and I don't see evidence of a reel ever being mounted to it.  The opposite side of the box has flies in it, not sure if that was originally part of the kit or not.  In addition to the deteriorated guide wraps (I'm guessing they are silk?) unfortunately one of the tip sections is fractured, probably from shipping.  Still, it's a really fun piece of memorabilia to remember an old friend by.  I am guessing solidly in the 50's since I know the previous owner was stationed there during and after the Korean Police Action.

oc1

Those have always been a curiosity to me.  They are marked with so many different names on what appears to be the same product.  I was making a list of the names at one time but can't find it now.  My favorite is Mayflower with a little decal of the Mayflower ship which clearly suggests they were made of export.  I wonder if they were made in one huge factory and just marked differently or made by many small artisans who all used the same components?
-steve