Penn Levenwing 09 - Spool kets stuckie sometimes

Started by Uderman, October 24, 2019, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uderman

Hi. I have this penn 09 reel and it is ok, but sometimes the spool gets stuck and I have to solve it by loosen the sideplates screws a little bit and then tight it slowly again.

Any tips on diagnosis this problem? It is working, but I do not want to go fishing with loosen screws on my reel.

Maybe the spool or other part of the reel is distorted or something?

foakes

A few possibilities on these little 9's and 109's --

But the first thing to check would be the levelwind system. 

It has around 12 or 13 parts -- gets a lot of stress -- and could be the culprit.

Typically, if sticking or stopping -- the long worm drive could have a burr or rough spot.

Also, with the screws snug -- take out the levelwind mechanism pawl by removing the screw under the levelwind guide.

If there is no stopping of the spool -- the issue is in the LW system.

If there is still an issue -- then there is likely another cause.

There are adjusters on these reels to adjust the side play in the spool, LW mechanism, etc..

Let us know how you do, post pics, and welcome!

Lots of helpful experts here...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Uderman

Ty Foakes

I don't think the problem is the level wind as I can cause / solve the stucking of the spool my tighting / loosing the side plates spoll. As if the sideplates when tighten would restrick the spool moviment. But I will check out when I get home later today.

akfish

If you have a chromed brass spool -- not a modern aluminum spool -- I'd bet that the spool is warped.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

oc1

Quote from: akfish on October 24, 2019, 07:52:36 PM
If you have a chromed brass spool -- not a modern aluminum spool -- I'd bet that the spool is warped.
Does it have monofilament line?  Is it packed on really tightly?
-steve

Uderman

It is a common chrome brass spool. It is packet with mono line, tigh enought I think

Gfish

This issue is interesting. Uderman, monofiliment line, if packed on too tight has been knowen to warp certain Penn metal spools, as akfish stated and oc1 alluded to.
If you can't see any deformity of the spool while it is in the reel, try removing it and then roll it on a flat surface. Maybe use a caliber to measure flange to flange distance all around the circumference of the spool.
If it's good, don't ignore the levelwinder stuff foakes was talking about.
We have a bunch of reel gurus here, and foakes, akfisk & oc1 are 3 of them, you're in good hands.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

It was more common for mono to warp plastic spools but I've heard of brass spools being ruined too.  It starts when fighting a large fish and winding the stretched line onto the spool.  The pressure of all those layers of stretched line trying to return to their non-stretched state is enough to push the flanges out.  It may be many hours or days after catching the big fish that the spool starts to bind.  

But, then again, it's a Penn #9M so you might expect the levelwind components to blow up before the spool.  You should make sure it still binds with the levelwind removed.

Some had success filing down the lip of the flange so it did not rub the side plate.  The spool would still wobble, but may be good enough for things other than performance casting.  Look for rub marks on the spool and the side plate before you begin.  If too much of the flange lip is removed it will let line get caught under/behind the spool.
-steve

Uderman

Thank you all! This weekend I will have time to check the levelwind and the spool!

Bill B

Just curious have you tried adjusting the left side plate bushing/bearing?   When adjusted properly you should have slight side to side play in the spool.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Uderman

Hi! I have removed the levelwind and it still jams. Also, the left side plate bushing is well ajusted, even if I loose it a lot the same results.

I will check the spool

reelrepair123

try spinning the spool in a drill, you could be able to see if it turns true.  harryk

Uderman

So....

I checked the spool (not with the drill, Nice idea) and it seens fine, nothing visible and measures I did were ok.

Bit then, I saw a scratch no the clicker causes by the spool. I Had noticied bafore that the alarm war not perfect, a bit loose but I did not care

Then I ajusted the spring to make more tension and it is not perfect but much better now

Uderman

Here is a pic of the clicker. Maybe the spool is really deformed