SXJ with some mileage, drag & lever issues.

Started by the rockfish ninja, November 03, 2019, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I have an SXJ MC that I've used for a few years, got a lot of usage due to it being my surfcasting and small jigging reel. I've kept it up but I've noticed the drag fading over the last couple seasons and *MOST OF ALL* the lever is harder to engage when I try to turn up the drag, no matter how much I lube the components. I compared it to my SX (which doesn't get as much use) at similar drag settings and it's night & day smoother, and easier to move thru strike & full. Sign of worn parts in the lever mechanism?

Drag washer doesn't look too worn down or flattened, although I really don't know how to gauge that, and from what I understand they are glued onto the spool, haven't found much on the subject so far in this section.

Any suggestions?
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

MarkT

Since you don't use the SX just swap the right side plates between the SX and the SXJ.  If the SXJ is now what you want to see you have plenty of time to resolve the issue with the SX.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RUSTY OLD COLT

Check the bearing in the end housing (part # 43 on the avet exploded view ) diagram .This bearing is famous for collapsing or crushing when you set the initial drag too high on strike .

alantani

bring it down sometime and let me take a look!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!