Penn Squidder Spool Manufacturer

Started by MeanMachine, November 04, 2019, 06:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMachine

Hi All,

Can someone identify who is the manufacturer of the aluminum spool?  It's from a Penn 145 Squidder.  Dimensions are 2.195" wide X 2.105" diameter. I need to get some info about line capacity of it.  Thanks for all your assistance with this. Damian

xjchad

That's a Newell spool.

The "CN"  stands for Carl Newell.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

MeanMachine

Wow that's amazing!  Thanks!
Those are not made anymore?
Damian

Alto Mare

Damian, those are very tough.
The original Tank that has been catching lots of fish has one of those.
The tolerance did change, especially on the small reels.
At times it will give you a hard time when using it on a Surfmaster and some others of the same size, that it is better not to use it.
It does work on most though.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Newell basically went out after Carl Newell passed away maybe a decade or so ago, though some attempt was made to keep the brand moving...didn't work out. Newell parts and his own Newell reels are still very sought after. His reel kits would alter Penn reels to non-standard widths, called "XYZ-Special", like a yellowtail special is a narrow 4/0 Senator H, which is like the Tank that Sal mentions above. It's owner has caught marlin on it. He also made standard width width spools and bars; i have a bunch though the 145 is probably my fav reel that I don't own lol.

John

MeanMachine

Thanks Guys,  I have it on a 145 Squidder,  It has a TIB frame.  Thinking of spooling it up with metered 50# braid and a short florocarbon leader and use for jigging. I got it some time ago and was planning on putting 30# braid but I think I'll use 50 # braid now.  I don't think it was used much before I got it. The anti reverse that allows the handle to go backwards doesn't work.

Ron Jones

I really like that size for shallow jigging (less than 150 ft or so.) It has the capacity to support a break off or two but is not so big that it is cumbersome.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MeanMachine

Thanks for the info guys.  In the old days lots of people in Hawaii used the 140 size for surf casting.  That 145 size I have is the only one that I've ever seen here on Kauai. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 145 Newell and Tiburon spools? Which is better?

thorhammer

The main difference is you can still get Tib spools easier, lol. Not sure there is much difference that anyone would notice jigging- one may be lighter and cast better while the other would be conversely heavier duty. I don't have pic, but perhaps Randy Pauly does- if there is a performance difference it may be in the shoulder design, which might make one have a  bit tighter tolerance to frame than the other and be helpful for thin braid.

John

Brendan

I believe the Newell spool is lighter. I don't know by how much.
Good find, Brendan.