Metal drag washers

Started by Fish-aholic, November 04, 2019, 10:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish-aholic

I've got a new star drag casting reel apart on my bench that is due for release in weeks and I found two aluminium drag washers (keyed and eared) in the drag stack accompanied by 3 CF washers at 1mm thick. I have not come across aluminium d/washers in a star drag reel before and this is boasting 12kg drag range.

I have seen surface scoring in SS drag washers and slight burrs to keyed areas in hard worked reels before so I question the use of aluminium ones marring badly under high drag settings.

I'd like to ask the reel gurus here on your opinion on aluminium drag washers? I am considering measuring the stock d/washers and getting SS ones cut that's thinner than stock and make up the space with more CF. If I cut to the stock d/w thickness in SS, it is going to add considerable weight to the graphite framed reel and I believe is the reason the manufacturer choose aluminium ones because the main gear is deep for the reels size class.

Some info about the reel specifications...

• 6.2:1 Retrieve Ratio
•Powerful Precision Machined Bronze/Brass Gearing
•Ergonomic Counter Balanced Power Handle
•5mm Hardened Steel Spindle
•Lightweight Balanced Tournament Spool
•Infinite Anti-Reverse System With Additional AR Pawl
•4+1 Shielded Stainless Steel Ball Bearings
•Strong Line Out Ratchet Clicker
•High Torque Winding Power

SPECIFICATION:
•Capacity: 330yds/15lb - 285yds/20lb mono
•Gear Ratio: 6.2:1
•Bearings: 4+1
•Line Recovery: 34.4"
•Maximum Drag: 26lb
•Weight: 440g

Steve

alantani

i have seen a few reels with non-stainless steel metal drag washers before.  the looked like aluminum.  first impression is that you gain in bulk what you lose in weight. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Three se7ens

The issue that I see is that aluminum isnt very hard, unless you go with a high strength aircraft grade like 2023 or 7075.  Id expect to see the gear sleeve deform, and potentially strip, the washers under heavy drag. 

Even regular 304/316 stainless is too soft to hold up well until you start getting into the 1/16" thick or more range.  Im currently using grade 5 titanium for the thin washers in all of my drag kits 9/0 and smaller. 

oc1

It's an Akios Nitron F-15.

"AKIOS is a forward thinking company based in the UK. Developed by anglers for anglers who demand new, innovative and durable fishing tackle.
Quality is of ultimate importance, along with durability and functionality."

http://akiosfishingtackle.com/multiplier-reels/nitron-f15/

Or, so they say
-steve

Fish-aholic

The reel is marketed for surf fishing into rock infested terrains and when end setups get caught up in said rocks, it is standard practise to ramp up the drag and use the rod to try and free it. This is where I hold concerns about the aluminium washers holding up and not marring to create issues with the drags operation.

I will update this thread if there have been anything worth bumping after it has had a thorough test and see how things hold up. Like I said in my earlier post, this is a first finding aluminium d/washers and felt I had to ask the gurus here for advise and experience.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Steve

xjchad

I fish from the beach with 80-100 lb. braid and a 100+ lb. rub leader.

If I get snagged, the drag will not hold well enough on any of my reels to break it off.  It's not just hard on the reel but the rod as well.

I just wrap the line around a piece of drift wood (plier handles work in a pinch) a few times and walk backwards to break it off. 

Much easier on gear.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on November 05, 2019, 11:27:27 PM
If I get snagged, the drag will not hold well enough on any of my reels to break it off.  It's not just hard on the reel but the rod as well.

I just wrap the line around a piece of drift wood (plier handles work in a pinch) a few times and walk backwards to break it off. 

Much easier on gear.

I learned the hard way. After souping up the drags on an Ambassadeur I tried using the reel to break off a snag. Bent the AR dog post. We use the plier handles too...or the net handle.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fish-aholic

We use 18/20lb mono and casting leaders to 80lb whilst the rig incorporates a 12lb weak link to the lead sinker (pictured below) which releases from a clip when impacting with the water. Ramping the reels drags and using rods is to try and break said weak link first, but when that fails, take pressure off reel as you guys recommend to break off sinker or casting leader.  :)

oc1

Quote from: mo65 on November 05, 2019, 11:48:43 PM
We use the plier handles too...or the net handle.[/color]
I don't use drag washers but have to break off from a lot of snags and use the butt end of the rod.  Seven turns around the handle to break off 20# spectra without slipping.  I used to use 30# but in a paddle craft you can anchor or capsize the boat before it breaks.
-steve

Fish-aholic

Pre-released Akios nitron f15 reels were being advertised for pre-orders with 330yds/15lb mono (0.35mm) spools, field testing with 20lb mono (.40) saw line trapping issues due to poor tolerances. Akios have rectified this by machining spools to take 510yds/15lb to fish 25lb mainlines increasing the operational pressure on the reel and has two aluminium drag washers in the stack.

Many who have made pre-orders wanting to fish 20lb mainlines and under are not happy with the capacity increase. The akios reel went from similar line capacity (give or take 30yds) to compete with reels fishing 20lb mainline and under like Penn 525 mags/squall 15/fathom 15's, Daiwa sl20 and saltist 20H and is now a 25lb class reel.

What a ballsup of a release! :o

Fish-aholic

A picture of the two aluminium drag washers (eared and keyed) and new spool...