A Different DQ -- Not Often Seen -- 440

Started by foakes, November 05, 2019, 02:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Here is a reel that D.A.M. designed to be a cross between the tough old 330 and the giant 550.

A reel was needed with a large line capacity but not as heavy or bulky as the 550 or 270 Super.

This reel incorporates the frame and gearing size of the 330 -- with a line capacity rotor & spool approaching the larger reels.

This is an ideal reel for larger Salmon, Steelhead, Mackinaw, Lake Trout, Stripers, Muskie, Cats, and Carp.

There are a few features on this model that are unique to this reel.

This particular one I built from new parts out of the old bins this afternoon, for a member.

It features an upgraded, stronger, and longer crank, oversize knob, and is set up for a right-hand crank.

Just have to adhesive the jumping fish emblem on the left side -- then bag up and send them out tomorrow morning.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Nice job, Fred ! How many "sizes" of DAM's are there, anyway ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Quote from: Crow on November 05, 2019, 02:53:17 AM
Nice job, Fred ! How many "sizes" of DAM's are there, anyway ?

Basically, of the top quality DQ's from the earliest up through the SL series -- there are 7 sizes from Microlites up through HD Salt Water spinning reels.  This spans (7) evolutionary series of spinning reels.

So a little less than 50 -- of the ones I personally consider worthwhile -- before moving production from Germany to Asia.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

Beautiful work, Fred, was just admiring the D.A.M. reel you built me awhile back and it's awesome, thanks!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

thorhammer

I spooled mine with 20 lb mono, and it took a LOT. I'd put this reel up against average mahi and sailfish and not sweat it, and it's a good weight if you need capacity for a long surfcast but not fishing for really large fish like old drum.  My 5000 is different aminal...I'd deep jig for grouper with that one...

John

festus

Great work as always, Fred.

To my knowledge I don't think a high speed 441 was ever built, but I have a couple of 441N.

foakes

Quote from: festus on November 05, 2019, 04:44:29 AM
To my knowledge I don't think a high speed 441 was ever built, but I have a couple of 441N.

Right, Chester -- no 441 was ever manufactured.

The original "Finessa" series of DQ's included --

110 - 220 - 221 - 330 - 331 - 440 - 550

When the "N" series Finessa's came out -- DAM eliminated the high speed 221 -- and added the high speed 441N.

The "N" series included --

110N - 220N - 330N - 331N - 440N - 441N - 550N

(6) of these 14 reels are high speeds -- 110, 110N, 221, 331, 331N, and 441N.

High speeds (1:5) are neither good, nor bad -- they are just built for specific fishing conditions.

Particularly good when fishing fast current -- and a knowledgeable angler wants their bait to flow easily with the current so as to be a natural presentation.  In these cases, one would cast upriver -- and let the bait drift back downriver. And, also in these situations -- one needs to both keep the bait off the bottom, as well as keep just enough light tension to detect a strike and set the hook.  The high speed is invaluable in these conditions.

The low speed (1:3) also have their place as a better winch.  Just as we shift into low gear when driving uphill with a load -- sometimes the higher gears will bog down and not perform well.

Different reels for different conditions.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.